Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi there

I hope you'll make allowances for a propeller-head asking what may be a dumb question... what colour would the interior of Rommel's "Greif" have been?

I've got Tamiya's new 1/48 scale kit. The instructions seem to indicate that the interior would have been Afrika Korps desert-yellow, but some pics I've found on-line of a very nice model have a Panzer Grey interior.

Does anyone know if Rommel's vehicle was delivered in grey and overpainted in desert camouflage? And, if that was the case, would the underside and the area behind the tracks have remained grey too?

Any help would be much appreciated. All the best

Rowan
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
Rowan,

You've raised an interesting question, especially since Rommel's vehicle has been one of much speculation and debate! There's even a question of whether or not it was a true /3 or actually a /5...but the odds are good it was delivered in Panzer Gray vs. Sandgelb and repainted with either Afrikabraun or Sandgelb...which likely would've left the interior in Panzer Gray.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks Bill

That's a great help. I'll be building basically OOB, so I doubt that my efforts will set the world on fire (especially as I so seldom try my hand at amour!), but I'll post some pics when I'm done. Be gentle!

Thanks again and all the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP