_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Any tips for this build
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
I previously ordered the Tamiya T-62A and the DML BTR-70 (the one infront of the brandenburg gate unloading a bunch of NVA troops)

I was just wondering what can I do to really get the most out of these kits and make them look great. Also, I am not a really big fan of the tri-colour camouflage the NVA used, so I was going to stick with the Russian green, what colours have you guys used in the past that were really good? Much appreaciated, Steve
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 04:54 AM UTC
Steve, Tamiya T-62 is very hard to make look good. Wait for the Trumpeter kit f it ever comes out. Dmitry
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC
Heard the same about the Tamiya T-62.
Anyway: if you're planning for some NVA-vehicles think about the fact, that the T-62 never served there!

For the green color look at my current feature of the BAT-M what presents a NVA version. If you like the color you can use Tamiyas "field grey". Thats the color I used (number is written in the feature article)
Steve1479
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
There is some full detail kit out for the tamiya, as well as the PE, barrel, and resin upgrade to the M1, I was thinking of buying it, and thanks, I forgot that the NVA didn't use the T-62, I will just make it a soviet one.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 01:14 PM UTC
My current T-62M m2005 is a Tamiya kit converted. It is not perfect, but if you already have one on hand, it might be a good place to practice before the Trumpeter kit comes out.

SP Designs makes some good conversions that will allow you to get your money's worth out of the Tamiya kit. It will also NEED a new barrel, the Eduard PE set, and putting on a new set of T-72 tracks and sprockets is currently being done and is a VAST improvment over Tamiya's offering. Do not replace the roadwheels as correct sized roadwheels look...strange...on the oversized T-62 kit.

For the BTR-70 you NEED the Eduard PE set for sure. A set of resin wheels would probably be helpfull in the long run rather than dealing with the rubber ones, but it is not essential.

SP Designs can be found in my store (shameless plug) or at Historica Books (non-shameless plug).
 _GOTOTOP