_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Light Tank Mark IIIB 'Dutchman'
djmodels1999
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Could anyone shed some light on the markings of those vehicles used for training purposes in England in 1940-43 (?)

Thank you,

Domi
Jimmie
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hi Domi,

Naturally when looking for a specific photo you cannot find it.... And the second law of research is that you will be side-tracked bu too many other interesting photos!

I am guessing that you are referring to the photo of two "Dutchman" light tanks of 3rd Troop, F Squadron, 2nd Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. I have the photo in British Tank Markings and Names by B.T. White.
Both these tanks have a broad white band around the lower half of the turret. The caption states that this band was a recognition marking used in the latter part of 1940. I have found a photograph of a Cruiser Mark IV A with a similar white band around the TOP of the turret, ie on the horizontal surface.
I did find a few photos of the Dutchman without the white band, but not many. T16689 is one serial.
I will forward your question to Mike Starmer as he would probably have some info.

HTH

Paul Middleton
djmodels1999
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC
Paul,

Thanks for the reply. In fact the only useful photo I have, in terms of markings that is, shows a vehicle unsed by the School of Military Engineering, sporting on the front of the hull a large square marking, itseld divided into 4 squares, with the top left and bottom right corners in a dark colour and the other 'quadrants' in white (?). According to my researches, the dark colour would be either black or red, depending on the Unit or School. This insigna may have been worn at the rear too... Above this marking is a white (?) band, of the same width as the square with possibly 'AME' writen in it.

A bridging 'circle' is not evident but could be hidden by the glare on the glacis. A 'T....' serial isevident to the left of the large square marking, and other pictures suggest that the serail was also worn on the right side of the hull, near the exhaust pipe outlet.

Domi
 _GOTOTOP