_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Buying a BMP kit
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 06:52 PM UTC
Hi guys been wanting either a BMP 1 or 2 and from what i have read, most existing brands are crap when it comes to the BMP!!! What would be the most ideal way to go if i was prepared to start with a decent kit and then throw ib some SD Design goodies to bring it up to an accurate level? Thanks!
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 08:52 PM UTC
If you want to build BMP-2 you don't have much choice, there is only DML. Apart from SP Designs correction sets you may also want to replace road wheels and tracks. Or you can wait for Miniarm full resin kit. BMP-1 is reproduced by DML and ESCI, but neither can be called accurate.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC
Esci did have a BMP-2 as well but I don't know if it's still available.

To have a more "exotic" BMP you can have a look at the German brand RN Modellbau which releases a conversion for a Bundeswehr BMP-1

Here is the link Bundeswehr BMP1 A1

Olivier
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks guys! Oliver i went to the german site n i have no idea how to order the kit hahahahah!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys! Oliver i went to the german site n i have no idea how to order the kit hahahahah!

Hello,
there is a button on the left margin named Bestellformula. My German is far away so my guess is that you have to print it and then fax your order to RN.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
I built the BMP 1 from Hobby Craft (Trumpeter) which once was a motorized toy, but with alot of work and modifications it turned out okay.

I'd stay away from that one for sure.

Jeff
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
To the best of my knowledge, the MR Modelbau kit is a conversion of a DML or Esci kit. I have not heard of a full complete correct kit out there, resin or otherwise.

DML and Esci are your two kits to work with. There have been other resin kits, but while they may be more accurate in some areas, they have design issues in others. Accurate Armour comes to mind, although to be fair they made that kit what seems like a lifetime ago.

The DML kit is of the later "uparmored" version with the resin applique armor. They also have a BMP-2E with additional armor skirts and other bits from teh Russian excursion into Afghanistan.

The Esci kit is of the earlier "unarmored" version.

Both have some major detail issues in that the upper hull hatches and persicopes are incorrectly positioned. Only AEF Designs and SP Designs make new upper hulls for them and I (in a very biased fashion) recomend the SP Desings offerings.

There are also dimension issues and detail issues with the suspension. While they are noticable to the knowledgable, they are less of a problem than the glaring hatch misalignments. I have learned to live with those problems anyhow.

The turret on both is plain, but generally ok. The barrel would benefit from a brass replacement if you really care about it, it is not THAT noticable.

Overall, these two kits can be dressed up to look "good enough". Unless / until a new kit is mastered anyhow.
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 01:17 PM UTC

You know, this is one of those times where I wish somebody would either kit an new, accurate version of the BMP-1/2, or fix the errors in the exisitng molds, instead of cranking out another Tiger or Panther.

Not that I have anything against Tigers or Panthers...

Anyway, the existing kits are good enough to dress up and be passable, like Jacques said. Personally, I like the DML BMP-1 kit, and no, I don't have a valid reason for it. It's not that great. The upside is that you can usually find a few on eBay, on the cheap.

-YL
Totenkorp
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 02:50 PM UTC
Many thanks for the advice given so far guys, so unless i can wait for Miniarm's up n coming BMP project, my best bet is to mod a DML offering with Sp then.....well at least it wont cost me an arm or a leg!!!! I dread the day i go gaga over the T90........
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC
It is what it is. Modeling mid-late Cold War red armor doesn't come cheap, unless you want to build T-55. And you need to open a new credit line to get post-USSR subjects right. Hopefully, Trumpeter will break this tendency.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC
I was just complaining about this in another thread, Trumpeter should of made up one of these and members of the family tree instead of getting into the paper panzer business and they would of sold a boatload of them. They are the only one that has focused on cold war ships and they've sold quite well. The Chinese have plenty of access to these vehicles to make accurate models of them.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
In relation to inquiries about BMP products, follow my banner below for SAAMModels.

And to clarify, the BMP-1 upper hull is as ok as the rest of the kits, and the Esci/DML version differ very little for the -1 versions. The only real difference is that DML's kits have gimmicky open/close hatches with horrible hinges and they have open periscopes, but no filler.

steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
look at Hobby Terra.
 _GOTOTOP