_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
sherman side skirts
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone has seen pictures of shermans with side skirts.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:08 PM UTC
I've seen hundreds of photo's of Shermans and I don't believe I have ever seen a combat version with the side skirts on, not even the training pctures in the USA. I have seen one of the variant working bee ones with partial skirts
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:56 PM UTC
what about side skirts like the panzer 4's the long ones to protect against bazookas?

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:32 PM UTC
Andy, the closest resemblance to side skirts on a Sherman would be those of the Marine units in the the Pacific. They used wood planks over the bogie units to protect against Japanese attacks.
Our friend DJ, a.k.a. 210Cav, has a couple pics of one he built with the planks. Click Here
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi,

For protection Sherman have used timber planks, sand bags and concrete most of the times, even welded steel plates.

I don't remember to see any pictures of Shermans with side skirts like the german panzers used.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:02 PM UTC
Most sherman kits come with their dust skirts/ protection skirts. When not used, some guys have added a small fixing plate to show where these have been removed.

Has anybody any tips on how to replicate this. What thickness should this area be? 0.5mm wide? How far apart should each attachment point/ hole be? 0.8mm?
Would appreciate some help here. I think this looks real cool and as i have a few shermans on the go, would like to add these. Another question would be ....... where would they start and end?
Thanks for any suggestions and tips!
Bren
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:22 AM UTC
Never even heard of a sherman with sideskirts?
only ever seen sandbags strapped to the side.
could make a nice look having sandbags all around. send me a personal message if you want the pic, include your email and i'll send it to u.
Cheers
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
i've seen israely shermans with the sideskirts on.
They were the first sherman fielded by the israely : M1 super shermans, with VVSS.
Maybe I saw an egyptian sherman (with the AMX 13 turret) that had them on too.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Has anybody any tips on how to replicate this. What thickness should this area be? 0.5mm wide? How far apart should each attachment point/ hole be? 0.8mm?...

Hi

I tried making these on my M4A176W. I used .05 thickness plastic sheet. I had a couple of photos, and I just used my eyeball mark 1 to adjust the width to match the strips to the vehicle. I used a pin to punch holes in the plastic sheet, again 'carefully' measured with the eyeball mark 1. I know that a bunch of the kits in the Italeri M4A1 group build ended up with strips, contact Adam Vukich and see if he can give you some measurements.

Of course a lot of folks are lucky enough to be at AMPs soon, so traffic is down right now...

Andy
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
I have seen a picture of a Sherman w/ side skirts...

In Steve Zaloga's book "The Sherman at War (v2)", pg. 46, top left. It shows a M4A3(76) getting Sommerfield matting applied by members of the 602 Engineering Camouflage Battalion. Zaloga also mentions that this is rare, the 12th Army Group having made it policy to remove them for maintenance reasons.

HTH,
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:08 PM UTC
Another area where the sideskirts were left on the Sherman were the ones sent to the British in North Africa. I've seen quite a few pics of these with the skirts left on. As far as modelling the mounting, I have done it a few times following much the same technique that herberta did.
 _GOTOTOP