_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Artillery Construction
Bren
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi,
I am hoping to build a british 6 pounder and a 25 pounder guns soon.
I have never built artillery before, any tips? or sites names were I can find some tips and advice?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bren
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
I built both of these kits a number of years ago. Of the 6 pounders that were on the market (Tamiya & Italeri), I actually preferred the Italeri kit. It was much better detailed than the Tamiya kit which was one of their earliest kits manufactured. The 25 pounder from Tamiya builds up without too much extra work unless you want to go detail crazy. The only drawback to the 25 pounder is that it is designed to be built in firing postion. If you want to show it being towed it requires some modifications.
Bren
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks for your opinion, I was probably going to build it being towed by its quad. So i'll just see what happens.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
I have found that a selection of styrene rod/tubing can be used to really dress up an artillery piece. While the gun tube/barrel will often have a curve or contour that is difficult to replicate, most cannons have a number of straight tubes and cylinders as part of the mechanism. Because of molding limitations, to my eye these tubes rarely look right on the model. Replacing them with rod or tubing makes a very subtle difference, but creates a noticable difference in the final realism of the model. In my experience it is not a very difficult process, either.

Good luck!
Bren
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
ARENGCA thanks for your comment, as to change it, I think i'll leave it b.
 _GOTOTOP