_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
MRE???
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
OK guy's here's one. what can i use for an MRE not the box I have the box no problem but, I want to have one open for my Diorama and the meals exposed and possably a couple in the soliders hands . So I guess I am just looking for idea's.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:32 PM UTC
Perhaps by using thin lead foil (the kind from Champagne bottles), Wrap a strip or piece around a thin diameter dowel or paint brush handle. Super glue the ends. To make the lids and bottoms. Hmmm. You use a drill bits chuck end pressed down on the foil on a hard surface and trim around the bit with a sharp knife. Unless you have a hole punch. I have an old leather punch that's works pretty good for making small circles.
Just a thought.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
SGT. Busche,
Are you talking about old style K-rations or new modern MRE?
If your talking about modern MRE's, I would try using two part epoxy putty like Milliput to sculpt the little bags and may be some index cards for the small individual boxes. I havnt tried this myself, but i just might.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
That's OK for the old rations but I am looking for the new MRE's that are in the plastic sealed bags I have a bunch of them but do not know what to use to make the plastic looking bag. I might use tissue or foil I don't really know. Just looking for ideas. Then the writing on the side of the pouch is another prob. I guess I will just have to hide it .

SGT.Busche
US ARMY, INF
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
I bet you could melt a small piece of sprue and make it into the shape of an MRE bag with little problem. Shape with a knife and needle file.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
I know it is not modeling related, but... what do you get in MRE?

Mario M.

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:40 PM UTC
Constipation.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Constipation.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :-)
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC
Constipation.....yeah thats true.

Mario as far as meals go they vary. There are two main boxes. Alpha and Bravo. Each box contains 12 MRE's. If you are lucky enough to draw a box of each then you have a choice of 24 different meals. Usually it works out that you end up with one or the other. The meals vary from Spaghetti to Chicken and noodles to Pork Chow Mein etc,,, lots of differnent meals. Each meal comes with a main meal, some type of dessert ie.. pound cake, cookie, M&M's, etc. Cocoa powder, kool aid, crackers and or peanut butter or jelly or cheese and an accessory packet which contains salt, sugar, toilet paper, chewing gum, coffee, coffee creamer, and each and every meal comes with a baby size bottle of Tabasco sauce, whichhelps hide the taste of someof the nastier ones. Personally I'd like my C rats back. Yeah you had to use a P38 to open them, but I enjoyed the meals more. One other thing that comes with the MRE's now, is a water activated heater. Simply open it up on one end, insert your Main meal, add a little water place the whole thing back in its cardboard wrapper and lean it up against...and I quote "A rock or something". I usually go for the "or sometihng"
method. Drop me an address Mario and I'll send you one so you can experience the wonder that is the MRE... Be prepared for some serious facial contortions at your first bite as your pallet attempts to "get used" to the taste... heh heh Honestly they aren't that bad once you have to eat them for a while or if you are tremendously hungry. Anyway, just my input. :-)
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:10 AM UTC
Sgt Busche,
Once again I fall back on my rolled out putty method. just roll it out nice and thin. use something for a mold and drape two pieces around it, pinch the edges together leaving one end open and let it dry. If its a little outta shape once dry you could sand it to a better shape. And then remove the mold from the putty. Use a good amount of talc or baby powder to prevent the putty from sticking to the mold. The suggestoin for the index cards as the inner boxes for the meals is also a good one. To make the mold you could just whittle a small piece of wood into a MRE size and shape or make the master out of putty too. HAve never thought of doing an open MRE before. I might have to try this.... heh heh I wonder if theyare as nasty in small scale as they are in real life... hmmmm "Q" I just realized Igot promoted. Woooo Hooo. !
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
[quoteDrop me an address Mario and I'll send you one so you can experience the wonder that is the MRE... [/quote]

After all this? No way...

Mario M.

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and an accessory packet which contains salt, sugar, toilet paper, chewing gum, coffee, coffee creamer, and each and every meal comes with a baby size bottle of Tabasco sauce,

Gee, I'm sorry. I think I read that wrong the first time. I thought you said the 'food' contained one of something in the list above......

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and an accessory packet which contains salt, sugar, toilet paper, chewing gum, coffee, coffee creamer, and each and every meal comes with a baby size bottle of Tabasco sauce,

And that's like a single square of toilet paper too.
Unless they've changed it recently.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
The new MREs are a world better than the orginal dehydrated MREs.

That also brings up a point. What time frame are you going for?
the first MREs were in a dark brown bag compared to the tan bags of today.

SB
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 03:52 AM UTC
Why are you wanting to inflict this suffering on those poor little soldiers. They may awake in the night looking for revenge
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
Ooops. Forgive me, I'm stuck in WWII...K-rations.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
The toilet paper is still the same. Only about enough to blow your nose if that. "Q"
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The toilet paper is still the same. Only about enough to blow your nose if that. "Q"

Always hated that.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That also brings up a point. What time frame are you going for?
the first MREs were in a dark brown bag compared to the tan bags of today.

This is correct. Around the Desert Storm time period, the MREs were being used up very fast. The government buys in lots and freezes the MREs for long-term storage. The menu only changes between lots. Since the MREs were being used so fast, several iterations of menu changes occurred, all based on soldier feedback. Two user comments had to do with the very dark brown (highly visible in the desert) color, and the size/shape of the MRE cases. The color was changed in the early 90s to a sand tan color. Around the same time, the box was changed also. The original boxes were identical to the old C-ration boxes, with the meals laid out in a single layer creating a wide, flat box. The new box is much more compact, with the meals in two layers. It is taller and more narrow. I'll measure a real one I have here and post the dimensions.

And whatever you do, don't forget the outer (cardboard) protective sleeve. That can be used for an amazing array of things, like a sleeping mat, or wind shield for a stove...i can't even rememer all the things we used them for. And even if you don't re-use them, they are large piece of additional trash to get rid of!

Another item to remember is the trash bag. Nearly every vehicle I have been around has had a clear or black trash bag tied to a convienient fitting, and partially filled with MRE and other trash. The MRE generates quite a bit of trash, above and beyond the trash we generate (even in the military, and in the field) as Americans. And don't forget the cookies, chips, jerky, candy, etc. that we take to the field, and the resulting refuse from those items!
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC
Another thought just occurred to me. My son has some G.I. Joe MREs. Wrong scale, but the right shape, if you need that. Should be able to find some in the G.I. Joe section of TRU.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC
OK guy's yes I know the MRE's are nasty but, they are better than the one's that were in the brown bag's. The pinkish one's are alot better now. All the idea's are great and I will give it a try and see what happens. And yes they still have all the same stuff in them and more now like potato sticks and bread and tea M&M's skittles stuff that will be atleast alittle something to look forward to you know. I do have the full box with writing and the sleeve cover. The trash bag is another great idea. See this is why this is such a great site.
Thanks guy's!!

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY,INF
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
I remember in 1983 we started getting the MREs, we were getting C-Rations (C-Rats) prior to that. The MREs were a vast improvement over C-Rats that were probably older than I was at the time. And anyone that complains about MREs today forgets really quick that these are version 3 or 4. They are much better than early versions. Anyone remember dehydrated pork patties or hamburger patties? How about the dehydrated ketchup that came with them. Roadwheel shaped cookies that were stuck together with a piece of wax paper between them? Or the track pad tasting cookie bar? At least today we get real brand name candy in the meal.

Plus to anyone whose been really hungry, MRE's are delicious.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hey sir you just gave me heart burn when you mentioned the beef patty's and the ketchup!! oh man where are the TUMS at!!! the new one's are not even close to the earlier version.

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY , INF
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
Ditto that Rob. ours came in green cans with black print and everything tasted the same. What I wouldn't give for some MRE's back then. But thn again I guess everything in relative.

Listen Guy's if anyone could get me some clear good photos I'd try to put together a set of modern MRE's on the market. Icould photosynthesize the art work, make up some single packet masters, stir well and try to produce as an accessory item. Anyone game for such a deal? It could be useful to everyone, and i would be able to produce them at a reasonable price. I would also offer a discount to the Armorama gang. I've been toying with the idea anyways, I'll speak to Jim and see what he thinks.

Cheers,

Jack be resourceful
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember in 1983 we started getting the MREs, we were getting C-Rations (C-Rats) prior to that. The MREs were a vast improvement over C-Rats that were probably older than I was at the time. And anyone that complains about MREs today forgets really quick that these are version 3 or 4. They are much better than early versions. Anyone remember dehydrated pork patties or hamburger patties? How about the dehydrated ketchup that came with them. Roadwheel shaped cookies that were stuck together with a piece of wax paper between them? Or the track pad tasting cookie bar? At least today we get real brand name candy in the meal.

Plus to anyone whose been really hungry, MRE's are delicious.

Oh yeah! Those were nasty!!!
 _GOTOTOP