Hosted by Darren Baker
Church/Monastery build
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
I guess I'll use this build blog thingie, great site feature. Beats the scattered postings I've been putting up when I have some progress.

I've managed a roof and dormer [ to be followed by more on both sides ].
The roof will be terra cotta tiles [ half rounds ]. The solid areas on the roof will be fully covered by the tiles. The planking sections will have broken and spotty areas of tiles. The roof will also continue over the veranda/walkway area.
I built everything in managable [ yeah right !!! ] sub sections to make storage painting etc. easier.
I'm leaning right now on an Allied theme as you can see with the U.S. tankers thrown in for size/pic. refs. However that can change back and forth a hundred times during a coffee, or a beer and a smoke.
Thanks for looking - Glenn

Oh yeah, almost forgot the dormer vent was made from an Italeri Opal Blitz wheel rim . The slats from an old HO scale pallet.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:56 AM UTC
I have to admit that I don't see figures in your in-progress photos. They make a huge difference. The monastery is really good, but man it really takes on new 'life' with figures. Really cool.
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:01 AM UTC
Really nice work !

AlexanderK
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:28 AM UTC
Nice work. The figures do give it a "ghostly" feel at the moment. Looking forward to seeing more
postbusf
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC
WOW!!!!!!
What a fantastic build, man.
There's only one thing i would like to make a comment on.
I see american soldiers on your building who are probably stationed somewhere in NW Europe, right?
But your ( amazing ) monestery looks asian and not Europian.
Or did you place those figures there fore sice?
Churches and monestery's in Europe are rennaisanse, gothic or barrok style.

There not much chance you will find buildings like that in Europe! Sorry!

Frank.
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2007 - 11:18 PM UTC
It looks very much like a building found in colonial Malaya! How do you make the individual bricks?

Good work,
Chas
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
Guys thanks, the church is supposed to be somewhere in Italy on or near the coast. Coastal because I have an Accurate Armor VIIC I'm not really doing anything with right now. A scratch freighter and an Azimut Schnell boat also that could be incorporated into this.
Attn. JBA : I'll simply move the vessels from a N. Africa dio to an Italian coastal one ................. at least it'll be a valid excuse to continue working on the freighter, l.o.l.

Check out this ref. site on Italian churches, sorry, I'm not computer savvy enough to give you a direct click - link to it.
And here I was afraid it was taking more of a Spanish overtone, and you guys give me Asian, l.o.l. ?

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Places/Europe/Italy/_Topics/churches/home.html

The fancy carved stonework is supposed to be Greco/Roman like from old Italian church ref. pics.
I have thousands of building ref. pics. and these are some examples of Italian churches. [ please don't make me go through all those uncatalouged pics. again l.o.l. ] Although a little more or less ornate in these ref. pics., my build is of a fictitious old church and monastery.
Chas, I found some plastic tray - like things with indentations [ brick/block like ] in them, with the right depth. I just fill them with spackle and pop them out.
If anyone wants to do brick/block work piece by piece like the real thing, I strongly suggest making a form [ no matter how painstakingly hard ], the larger the better [ volume of pieces wise ] because it will surely pay off in the end.
They have molds for all kinds of stuff, I wonder why no one ever came up with a brick mold to sell.
Cheyenne

Oops almost forgot, Chas, the fancy carved stonework was made from molds I found at a craft store, greeze em up a bit, fill with spackle, joint compound, wall mud, whatever. Then pop em out sand the backs and .......done.

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
Good Job Glenn, you are making great progress and i really like what you have done. I can hardly await some colour on this one.

Happy Christmas

Claude
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Claude, thanks man, like I said before, my respect grows more and more for you every day with the work you did on the castle. I have a better understanding with what you had to contend with !!!!
Tedious - yes - rewarding also yes, l.o.l.
Glenn

postbusf
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
Is there no chance i can convince you to put you fantastic building in an asian setting with some palm tree's and boedist monks or japanese soldiers!?

Sorry that i am a pain but i don't see greco-roman style in your build. ( yet )

I am probably the only one who see's this, but it is just my own personal opinion.
Offcourse i don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to do.
It would be better for me to wait untill your amazing building is ready and than form my own opinion and keep it for myself.
The most important is that you have fun and i cant wait to see this beauty in a nice setting.

( please, don't be angry with me.)

Frank.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
Frank, buddy, pal, homie, absolutely no offence taken.
Did you go to the ref. site I posted. I'll admit this is not a real time structure but a mix culled from that sites [ and many others ] ref. pics. Maybe it's all the white block and walls and such.
I know it's hard to tell from these pics. because of all the blank foamboard, but here's an overview of the whole church [ right hand side ] and monastery - courtyard from when I started this.

After mulling this thought and your suggestions over I will admit this could very easily be a Roman Cathloic church in the Philippines [ if I stuccoed most of it ] ................................. now that's a idea I haven't thought of.
Maybe that's why I saw Spain in the build also.
As a matter of fact I don't think it would be totally unlikely that I could put this in that scenario. Food for thought ?
I could play with this idea as I build and see what happens, instead of olive trees and grape arbors ...................... palms and ferms etc. ................. could work nicely !!!!!
Marines and or early war Philippine scouts [ one of the last known cavalry charges ]. Early G.I.s with tin helmets, this just may be another possibility.
Thanks Frank, something to seriously think about, Allies in Italy, Axis in Italy, Allies in the Philippines, Japanese in the Philippines.

Thanks for the comments and ideas - Glenn
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC
OUTSTANDING construction. And those figures on the balcony/stairs really give it a terrific focal point. Great stuff.

And what could be more Roman than arches?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
Neil, thanks man.
What could be more Roman than arches ? ...................................... McDonalds !!!!!!!
Sorry wanted to be the first one ................

Frank, haven't done any research on churches in the Philippines yet, ........ do you or does anyone else think I could include the Philippines as a possible place for this church/monastery ?
Stone fireplace, stone lower foundation ? Could that possibly be go with a Philippine location ? I like having this as a possible avenue for this build.
Glenn
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 04:16 AM UTC
Glenn,
I know you recently moved and have more space...but I have to ask. Where in the hizell do you put these monsters?

This beauty plus the Biergarten with the raised/draw bridge
postbusf
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Your right, i did not see the ref site, and i did not know this building was gonna be this big!
Yes,....This was a jaw dropping experiënce for me.
It was already beautifull but now it's even better than i could imagin.
WHOOOOOOOOW !!!!!!!!

Frank.
LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 162 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:00 PM UTC
Cheyenne I kno that this is off topic but when you built that Cafe/Beer Garden for Park20 how big was it

MATT
jubelum
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:01 PM UTC
Nice work cheyene,i'm from the phils. and these might help you as an additional refrence,took these pics on one of my visit in bohol located here in the phils,it's a coastal area.if you need more i'll be gladly to take some more pics of churches located in manila.

cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
Whoaaaa, Jubelum those are some outstanding ref. pics. Can you e-mail them to me ? [email protected]
If you have any other WWII existing building pics. I'd very much appreciate them also.
It's sad that this era of the WWII conflict is so neglected.
With these pics., eventually I'll surely be working on something from that timeframe !!!!!!
As a matter of fact.... before the football games start, I'm going to break out my DVD of Bataan [ Robert Taylor, George Murphy, Lloyd Nolan, Robert Walker ] and watch that for the thousandth time while modeling this morning, l.o.l.

I must admit next to North Africa my most favorite period within the WWII conflict is the Phillippines at the start of the conflict, Bataan, Corrigador, etc. U.S. Army & Marines and Phillippine scouts in tin helmets. Outnumbered, overwhelmed and out gunned !!!! But were some hard assed fighters !!!!

Thanks again Jubelum - sweet refs. !!!!!!
Glenn
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC
This is amazing, fantastic, exiting to look at, what a fine building this is. Truly a masterpiece...already ! G.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Glenn i am totally lost betwen your different posts and duh, it seems this one is the one I should follow
I can't wait to see your freighter on the same scene that's for sure but hey, let's stop once again on your latest and I must say i really like the destroyed parts so more please The 3 layered stone effects is fantastic!
To Jubelum, great pictures! a very good source of inspiration for extreme weathering of old buildings!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 02:18 PM UTC
Some more progress.
JBA, Jean, sorry but I didn't even get to touch the freighter this weekend. Life keeps getting in the way !!!! But then again I'm retired so I've got all day tommorrow and the next day and the ........................
I used a sheet of Plastruct irregular patio stones for the veranda thing on the back of the building.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC
Man I love checking in on your updates. You buildings keep on going and going. The stones lok really good.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
A little more progress on the monastery.

Claude thanks for the terra cotta info I'll have to experiment with it. Brilliant method. I'll have to find some thicker foil though because there will be alot of broken bits around the roof and ground from the air burst hit on the other side of the building.
Glenn

jubelum
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 05:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoaaaa, Jubelum those are some outstanding ref. pics. Can you e-mail them to me ? [email protected]
If you have any other WWII existing building pics. I'd very much appreciate them also.
It's sad that this era of the WWII conflict is so neglected.
With these pics., eventually I'll surely be working on something from that timeframe !!!!!!
As a matter of fact.... before the football games start, I'm going to break out my DVD of Bataan [ Robert Taylor, George Murphy, Lloyd Nolan, Robert Walker ] and watch that for the thousandth time while modeling this morning, l.o.l.

I must admit next to North Africa my most favorite period within the WWII conflict is the Phillippines at the start of the conflict, Bataan, Corrigador, etc. U.S. Army & Marines and Phillippine scouts in tin helmets. Outnumbered, overwhelmed and out gunned !!!! But were some hard assed fighters !!!!

Thanks again Jubelum - sweet refs. !!!!!!
Glenn

i just sent an email....
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Can't you point out with an arrow what's new? It took me a while to notice the finished wall in front of the fountain . Well done! Did i miss anything? It is so much to look at.

It is really fascinating to look at the relativ chaos of such a build with all the different materials and relook at it later again when the colours are applied.

I hope i did not violate any copyright law with the pics of the foil method from the book.

Claude

_GOTOTOP