_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rail mounted Flak 38
southsix1
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC
I'm curently building a railcar mounted Flak 38: http://ipmsuk.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=railw&action=display&thread=1191181097&page=1

I've found various reference photos for the build and it seems that railcar mounted Flak was a 'build it as best you can' effort, with the crews and local rail / field workshops adding whatever custom touches they could manage including crew comforts. Can anyone direct me towards any reference publication or web sites please?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 10:38 PM UTC
Hi Nick,

This should be an interesting build.

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi Nick. Im doing the same thing myself .. but was fortunate enough to get the flat car with armored sides, when made available again last year. Ive used Dragon Joboshrek instead of the 38. Have never found any reference images of interest though.
I had the same "warp" problems as yourself, but when the main frame was cemented, I held it over night under weight and it straightened nicely. I painted them up, but havenīt had a chance to continue with this .... big project ... as Im also planning to build the BR52. Will be keeping an eye on your project. Will you have the flat car in front or behind the train?

So far

The 'Schwerer Platformwagen' carrying a late Panther A will also be included

Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi Nick just spotted this request , give bararossa books web site a try and look for Waffen Arsenal books on flak , I am certain our late mate Mick had a copy cheers ian
mark197205
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm curently building a railcar mounted Flak 38: http://ipmsuk.proboards20.com/index.cgi?board=railw&action=display&thread=1191181097&page=1

I've found various reference photos for the build and it seems that railcar mounted Flak was a 'build it as best you can' effort, with the crews and local rail / field workshops adding whatever custom touches they could manage including crew comforts. Can anyone direct me towards any reference publication or web sites please?

Hi Nick,
there are a couple of books by Schiffer on the subject of the German Armoured Trains as used during WWII and they contain quite a few pics of the early war cobbled together stuff that were very similar to your build, some had flak guns while others had 37mm Pak guns along with captured materiel mounted on them for defence from partisans.
The books I mention are fairly inexpensive and should provide you with some references, if you need the ISBN's let me know.
turtle50
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hi Nick
Have a look for a Schiffer book "German 20mm Flak in WWII 1935-45" by Werner Muller. It has some nice pictures of what you are after around page 31 onwards. Hope this helps.
southsix1
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:47 AM UTC
Strewth guys, I'm not worthy! ... Excellent builds!

Here's the progress on my effort so far ...

dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 396 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:45 PM UTC
A book published in 1970 (steel rails to victory) by Ron Ziel, has alot of rr pictures of all kinds. I picked this book up for $5 at a Walden book store about 25 years ago. The book covers American, European & some Japanese railroads. About 50% of the pictures are German Railroads and equipment.
Joe
southsix1
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:32 PM UTC
OK, let's just catch up ...

Frank ...
Quoted Text

Will you have the flat car in front or behind the train?

This build started as a one off for display at a railway show to which 'Sandy' and I are invited to each year, as we're both building to a theme. However, eventually, the flak car may be added to a diorama I have in mind which will include the Br52. I've not yet decided on the full content of the diorama, but if it includes the flak car, then it wold be placed at the front of the locomotive. I've seen a couple of the loco's built and each one has the flak placed on the tender? .. not sure if that ever happened though or if the tender would support the weight or the operational use?

As you can see, I've painted the wooden sides .. erm! ... wood! and the metal bits were going to be painted steel, but that weathered Grey looks the business. The information I had was that the chassis of the car was charcoal black? ... I think it's a day in the workshop today with the airbrush.

Joe / Neil / Mark / Ian ... My sincere thanks for the reference information, looks like I have a fair bit of interesting reading to look forward to.

Nick.
baggemats
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
old thread i know, but i'm working on some rail things and also a wagon like this, how is it going with this build? great job and i hope it went in to a diorama

Greetings
Mats
 _GOTOTOP