_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Jerrycans...
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi there!
I´d like some info.....
I´d like to buy a set of jerrycans, I was thinking about the Italeri set, but I´ve heard that Tamiya makes a good set (WWII) but I didn´t know it, anybody has used it or know it?
What´s the best Italeri or Tamiya, and there are another options?
Cheers!
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC
Tamia I think is better. The set has US and GERMAN WW II in it and some modern but most of it is WW II. It has water and fuel can's. Good detail.

SGT.Busche
US ARMY, INF
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC
Paulo,

The Italeri set is great. NIce detail in the molding; obviously the quality control guys were working that week.

Academy's Tank Supplies Set II is super as it has not only German, but US, British flimsies and Israeli cans.

Avoid Tamiya's 35026 set. The handles do not have the three stringers (they omitted the middle stringer).
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Paulo,

One other set to recommend is Tamiya's 35229; Allied Vehicle Accessory set. Very good US and German cans, plus barrels and a boatload of other on-vehicle accessories.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC
Just one more, then I promise to be quiet...

Tamiya 35186...German Fuel Drum Set. Has very nice German cans, drums and some handpumps. Recommended as well.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
I have several of the set mentioned above and my personel favorite is the Italeri set. IMHO, it just makes better jerry cans.
Here's something that has been on my mind lately. If the Germans were referred to as Jerry's, why are all gas cans Jerry Cans? Shouldn't it just be the German ones? I know, I'm too easily amused.
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Almost all your standard manufactures make a jerry can set. Tamiya's is definately the best injection molded ones you can get (just my opinion). But personally I like Verlinden's jerry cans the best. They are resin casted, and are molded on both side, without the mold lines. Also german's used white crosses on the jerry cans to denote it as carrying water, this prevented contamination with gasoline.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC
I bought the Tamiya set last winter, the probelm I have not building much armor kits, I don't know which cans are German and which are US.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the Tamiya set last winter, the probelm I have not building much armor kits, I don't know which cans are German and which are US.

US cans have a flat, indented bottom and 3 handles across the top. German cans are two halves joined along the middle (as in left and right halves) and only one handle. Among early armor kits, the Italeri cans are better than the Tamiya ones. With the new kits, Tamiya may have improved them.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:43 AM UTC
Actually, the significant difference betwwen German and US Jerry cans are the metal stamps on the sides the U.S. ones' are stamped "X" and the German ones are stamped as a square with small angular line off each corner.

After market items: Precosion models makes the absolutely best German set going with Drums cans pumps and lines!! The tankworkshop does some with grenades attached (end war-incendiary devices, cool!!) Armand Bayardi does some excellent crushed and dented jerry cans Extra cool!!. MR Models does a nice set of allied jerry cans. Ultracast of Canadada do very nice British flimsies i.e. LRDG running board types. I also like theUS Jerry cans done by The tankworkshop;

Jack
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
I guess there are a lot of can's out there so I guess probly like the rest of us you might just have to get a few and find out witch one's you like the best. Resin is your best bet just because of all the sanding with the injected stuff.

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY , INF
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

US cans have a flat, indented bottom and 3 handles across the top. German cans are two halves joined along the middle (as in left and right halves) and only one handle.

German WW2 jerrycans had 3 handles.
I believe the origin of the term jerrycans came from the fact the Germans had them first. British fuel containers were smaller boxlike things. The "Jerry's cans" were prime pickings for use by Allied troops (once they stopped retreating most of the time!! ). The basic design was copied by the Allies. I believe early US/Allied jerry cans were virtually identical to the German ones, all the way down to the shape of the indent on the sides.

I think Rob may have described modern jerrycans, which I know nothing about!!

The old Tamiya jerrycan set is to be avoided except for some nice buckets!
The recent releases are better. As others have said, the Italeri jerry cans are the most praised items around. I don't have that set. The Tamiya old cans are pretty poopy, I have lots!
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 03:11 PM UTC
:-) Tamiya jerry can solution. Since they have a good genral shape (that's about all*going in their favour, and so as not to trash them here are a couple suggestions:

1. Build a redball express style cargo load and cover with a white glue/tissue tarp.
2. Use them in a sci-fi type dio
3. Dent, destroy, use as debris.

Just a couple of quickies off the cuff.

Jack
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 09:08 PM UTC
I've got Tamiya's Allied Vehicle Accessory Kit. The cans are pretty nice, though I needed to sand a little to hide the seam. So far I've just put together the jerry cans and have no tried the blitz cans, steel drums or too much of the gear.
While we're on the topic; What's the best thing to use to simulate straps around the jerry cans? I've tried dental floss. While it's the right size, it's waxed so the paint dosen't stick.
And what can I use to fill in the back of the gear? (backpacks, ammo bags, tarps, etc.) It's a tad unrealistic when there's a gaping hole in the back of a GI's field bag. Thanks,

YodaMan
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi there Yoda

You can fill the backs of the packs with Milliput or some other epoxy putty. You can sculpt folds and seams in the putty as it dries. You can also buy unwaxed dental floss! If you want straps that look like rope, I find ship rigging thread is good. If you want flat straps, then you can try using electrical tape with the adhesive stripped off (use thinner) and cut to width and length. I have had moderate success with lead foil and paper soaked in white glue for straps.

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Andy!!!
You know, a good addition to the site would be a list of common things that can be used to detail models. Examples from Andy's post above, tips from the post about 'modeling stuff that ain't modeling stuff'. That's some really helpful stuff to remember!

YodaMan
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
Graphic artists tape comes in small rolls usually from .025mm upwards. One roll lasts a lifetime. They are adhesive and can be painted upon. Thet make great slings, c-rat wrappers etc. Architects use these to design straight lies manually on drawings. Check your art supply stores.

Jack give secrets
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess there are a lot of can's out there so I guess probly like the rest of us you might just have to get a few and find out witch one's you like the best. Resin is your best bet just because of all the sanding with the injected stuff.

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY , INF

I agree with Sgt.Busche here too. For US Jerry Cans, I feel AP Bayardi's resin cans the best around. Magnificent castings and inexpensive.

Gunnie
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the realible reply, I was sure I could count on you....
Great suggestions, I´ll buy both Tamiya new set and Italeri, cos they´re more easy to find here..
Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP