AFV Club M88
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 11:08 AM UTC
Hiya, Folks,

Just grousing a little... I'm about 99% done with the AFV Club M88 (Vietnam version)...all except for the indie track links, headlight guards and rigging the crane.

I'm pretty happy about it all up to that point when I come across a photo of the rear deck above the exhaust louvers... It would seem the Vietnam version had three louvers (with a space on either side of the middle louver)... AFV Club seems to have molded the later version first, because it is a single flat plate across that middle louver... To be truly accurate for the Vietnam version I would have to cut around that middle louver, separating it... This kind of surgery is normally not a big deal but is now something I am a little reluctant to do since I am so far along on the model (I guess I could try to cover it up with a large crate or something similar...)

Has anyone built the Vietnam version and made this mod?

Also, the measurements for rigging the crane seem a little off --- or is this just me?

In other news, a friend gave me the old Tamiya M41 for Christmas... Going to do it as a destroyed ARVN vehicle... Given how much the M41 shares with the Duster, I am wondering why they are dragging their feet so (yeah, I know it ain't WWII German)...?

And what's the delay on the LVTH-6...?

Lastlly, does anyone know of any other Vietnam era subjects in the pipeline for 2008?

As always, many thanks, folks!

Merry Christmas!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm pretty happy about it all up to that point when I come across a photo of the rear deck above the exhaust louvers... It would seem the Vietnam version had three louvers (with a space on either side of the middle louver)... AFV Club seems to have molded the later version first, because it is a single flat plate across that middle louver... To be truly accurate for the Vietnam version I would have to cut around that middle louver, separating it...

Hi Johnny
Just want to be sure about what you're talking about..Are you talking about the 2 rectangular green painted parts standing up on this OIF M88A1 ?

If so there are the same than on Vietnam-era M88s. They are hinged to be movable (maybe to ease the engine cooling ) so I think you can leave them in the "closed" position as in AFV Club kit (the outlines of the these two parts are clearly noticeable). I've got Vietnam pics showing them in both positions...In other words, IMHO, AFV Club's rendition of this area is OK whatever the kit (M88 or M88A1...)

HTH
Frenchy
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hiya, Frenchy,

As always, you are right on the money! Yes, I am talking about the two hinged panels seen open/raised in that picture you posted. This is a tough angle to find in Vietnam era photos, but what I have seen always shows the panels removed... I would love to see a shot of a Vietnam-era vehicle with the panels still on --- and yes, you must be right in that they were probably removed to assist with engine cooling...

This is great news in that I would love to avoid cutting on a nearly complete model with so many delicate pieces, ya know?

As always, many thanks, Frenchy!

Happy New Years!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
Watch your email Johnny,
...and Happy New Year !

Frenchy
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 03:56 PM UTC
Yeah, I built the Tamiya Duster in th 70s and had a blast, Gary. Have seen some modellers such as Gino Q. make silk purse out of a sow's ear. But with a busy toddler on the prowl, I just don't get into long term modeling projects these days, so I'm eager for a new Duster with today's detail, capish?

With the M-41 done, AFV Club has about 60% of the work complete and they have announced the kit many moons ago. Now it's off their release list, which ain't a good sign. Hope they don't give up on it, their LVTH-6 or the rumored Ontos kit. I'm still holding out hope for the engineer version of the LVTP-5 --- maybe they'll kit this if the -6 sells well (I'm in for one).

As to me, I'd like to see more Vietnam era subjects come out or be re-visited with today's level of detail... The Aussie Centurion was great (except for those rubber tires)... Hopefully Trumpeter will release a PT-76 appropriate for the NVA. And who wouldn't want to see a PACV, Ontos, M578, an LCM-6 (or any Riverine craft), M113 Bridge layer, V-100, dozers/Rome Plows etc. kitted or the M48A3, PBR, Duster, M29 Weasel, M109 or other Italeri artillery brought up to today's standards?

Wishful thinking? Since none of the above was fielded by the Axis, probably so, but hey, why not?

Now back to that M88...

Aloha,

Johnny B.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 09:44 PM UTC
I hadn't heard that AFV Club was going to do an Ontos. I bought a Hobby Fan resin not long ago. Maybe AFV Club would make an M114 (since I also just bought the Accurate Armour kit).
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:10 AM UTC
Yeah, I hate when that happens...

The Ontos thing was only a rumor, but the source was a good one, so who knows, maybe AFV Club will get tired of battling Dragon tit-for-tat over WWII German subjects and start producing more post war subjects...

At least the Duster was on their release list for a while, so there could still be a chance that we will see one.

Like I said, their release of the Centurion variants is a great sign --- hopefully they are selling.

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hmmm, that's interesting. I didn't realize the announced Duster went back to Skybow --- always thought it was AFV Club... Don't know if that is a good sign or not --- sounds like they were tooled up and ready to go... I wonder if the German armor war with Dragon put this one on the back burner. If AFV Club did get the molds, I would hope that the new kit still sees the light of day.

And speaking of old kits, a buddy recently gave me the old Tamiya M41--- think I might use it to practice some techniques on... What's actually kind of fun about that kit is that the majority of suspension components are already molded on...a nice change of pace. Granted, old detail (not bad, though), but still kind of fun --- I always wanted to model an RPG hit with the spall and I think this will be the kit.

I received Eric Hammel's book on the Marine Corps in Hue (Tet offensive of course) and there are a couple good photos with the Duster in there --- great book by the way with a lot of color and many pictures that I've never seen before.

We'll see what the New Year brings for Vietnam (and modern) AFV enthusiasts...

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Removed by original poster on 12/31/07 - 07:13:16 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP