Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 12:07 AM UTC
Does anyone here have this book on LandRovers by B. Morrison?

It looks good and hopefully it has some info on LandRover WMIK. BTW, I'm interested in quality of AA WMIK model... if you have any info on the kit please share it with me.

Thanks,
Mario M.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:36 AM UTC
This looks to be from a UK publication called Land Rover Monthly, I've seen the magazine in newsagents here in the UK but have not bought it.

I have just bought an AA WMIK however and I have to say it is a stunning piece of resin moulding. There are a multitude of resin parts with white metal for the main chassis members. There is a little flash on the white metal parts but it is easily removed.
The instruction sheet is mainly pictiorial with some written notes about aligning the chassis/suspension. I have read in a post at missing-links.com that the suspension springs provided are too strong and hamper construction but as my kit is in my pending pile I can't judge that.

There are a lot of parts to the kit but I'm sure it will be stunning model if given the attention it deserves.

You never know after seeing so much of them in Iraq perhaps one of the mainsteam manufacturers will commit some plastic to this subject. please,pleae Mr Tamiya, Trumpeter, Italeri, Revell et al.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just bought an AA WMIK however and I have to say it is a stunning piece of resin moulding.

Thanks for the info. I just love up-armoured softskins and would also like to get the kit, but the price is too high for me at this moment..

BTW, I have found many references on WMIK so I decided to pass on the book. Do you have something special for references on LandRovers? How do you plan to build the kit?

Mario M.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:56 AM UTC
Tamiya have a landrover ambulance kit. Is there anyway the type you are looking for could be scratched from this? It should provide a good basis. Ive no idea of what it would take.
Maybe the model type is too old!
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:53 PM UTC
There are several good reference pictures of the LandRover with WMIK on the UK MOD site : http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/photo_gallery.htm

Look under the operations on land and the preparations pages.

With regard to the kits available in 1/35 I know of the following :

Tamiya Rover 7 ambulance
Tamiya SAS 'Pink Panther
Italeri SAS Combat Car
Revell LandRover 109Series III (also released in a hard to find civilian version I believe)
Accurate Armour LandRover Wolf series

The 2 Tamiya kits share a common chassis sprue with each other with seperate sprues for the individual body work. I have one of each (got them on Friday in fact) but I have only given them a cursory look over.

Likewise the Revell & Italeri kits share common sprues with 2 sprues being common and each kit having a smaller individual sprue of variant specific parts. I have 2 of the Revell kit and 1 of the Italeri.

Eduard make a Photo Etch set for the Tamiya 'Pink Panther' and this set includes several parts that will be usefull for all the kits.

I am presently building a Revell kit, it is configured for Left Hand drive as opposed to RH drive in all the others for which Revell have made minor mods to the moulds for steering rack but I needed to tinker with the chassis locations to accept this new part.

My interest in LandRovers has been spured on by my neighbours recent purchase of an Army Surplus LandRover 109. I don't have the money to get one of my own but I can have a few 1/35 size ones and I won't have to pay the Road Tax :-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
The Pink Panther kit is one of the 'funniest' kits I've ever seen! The bare plastic is really pink! Bright pink! I lie not when I say that I got 'blinded' when I opened the box and saw the pink plastic. :-)

Ant, re:Revell 109Series III and the civilian version, what era are they (i.e. 90s?) because I need one that is closest to those used by media in the field for a projekt I have in mind.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:24 AM UTC
The LandRover109 Series III was in production until 1984,when it was replaced by the 110 / Defender, the Revell Military kit includes decals for Operation Desert Storm which was 1991.

I live in South Wales and just today I've been for a spin upto Brecon (a hill farming region & British Army barrack town to boot) and I have passed Landies of all models including Series I, still going stong.

The civilian version of the Revell kit is extremely difficult to come by. I only got into Land Rovers about 6 months or so ago and I have only seen one come up on Ebay in that time.
I cant remember if it has the canvas tilt or the Safari roof, which I guess would better suit you requirement for a press vehicle.

Hope you find what you want.

Happy modelling :-)
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:32 AM UTC
Just did a quick Google search on 'Land Rover Owners Club' came up with some usefull links try www.series-3.com in particular, has some interesting historical info.
 _GOTOTOP