_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
How to "Glue" Plaster of Paris
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
Friends,

Major accident at the "SPLASH Bridge" I'm doing....Anybody good suggestions about how to glue Plaster of Paris ??

Full coverage on Armorama soon....

it looks like this :

:::::::Bridge:::::::
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 02:49 AM UTC
I think that a lot of folks use 2 part epoxy for that.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC
I usually use white glue. If you are gluing heavy pieces you may want to strengthen the joint with some toothpicks.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC
I've glued a lot of plaster of paris rock molds on my model rr layout with ordinary carpentars glue. Apply liberally if you wish, and simply wipe off the excess with a damp rag/paper towel. Depending on your climate the cure time might be up to a day +, but once cured its rock solid (no pun intended lol). Good luck! :-)

Steve aka WeWillHold
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
I've used both two part epoxy and white glue. Either work just as well. Depending on where the crack in your bridge is you may want to consider Keenans toothpick idea. I sometimes use stiff hobby wire too - (snipped paper clips are great too) for support and strength.
Careful not to get the glue on the face of the bridge as the glue will eliminate the ability to etche and score the plaster.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
I'll go for white glue, that for the specific task is in my view better than epoxy because it's thinner...
Ciao
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
I have joined this a few times and have used piano wire pins. Drilled holes in both sides and glued them in place. I then went on to fill the gap with spackel. The stuff that comes in tubes from the hardware store for mending walls. You can be as messy as you need to be. If you have already scribed the pieces when flat this is excellent. A damp sponge will remove all excess spackel and leave an almost invisible joint. Even in the scribing. When it has set for some time.... but not fully cured you can scribe over the filling and all looks well. Look for keith Forsythes article on preping plaster buildings here in the forums. This may help also.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
As you can see, a lot of folks use a lot of different products. I prefer a product called FABRITAC glue, which is available at most major craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.) or directly through the company (beacon). There are several reasons I use this product:

a) it is "sticky" immediately, about the consistancy of peanut butter. This means you can "fit" your pieces before locking them in place.

b) unlike white glue, which is water based, it will not weaken when your wash is applied. I've had that happen a time or two with white glue pieces that received a liberal wash. Fabritac is not affected.

c) it dries hard as a rock and is both clear and VERY strong.

The only two minor downsides to Fabritac is that it costs more (about $8.00 per 4 oz bottle), but it goes a LONG way. The other thing is it is thicker than water-based glues, so you have to make sure to put on a thin film to make sure no excess squirts out the sides.

Refer to my article "Prepping Plaster Kits" in the FEATURES->DIORAMAS section, and you will get more information about this product and how I use it on my plaster work. The link is below:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/15

Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 08:52 AM UTC
Im with KFMagee on this one. Fabritac is an awsome glue for plaster.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Look for keith Forsythes article on preping plaster buildings here in the forums. This may help also.

What I meant to say was keith Magee. Sorry Keith ......... but I see you answered yourself!
M113
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Danny,

I suggest u these 2 part epoxy. Strong, and holds a lotta Kg.'s within 5 minutes.

Take it easy.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:08 AM UTC
I used both white glue and 2 compound epoxy,both works...Epoxy is better ;it dries faster and holds stronger.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 03:51 AM UTC
Guys,

thanks for all the input. Tonight will be "repair night", when I'm gonna try out your suggestions.

Thanks !!

Danny
Removed by original poster on 02/20/16 - 19:55:21 (GMT).
stalebl8
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 12:55 AM UTC
To Keith McGee:
Hello - I just wanted to thank you so much for posting this info about FabriTak glue. I purchased a plaster of paris lampshade that arrived smashed to smithereens and just finished gluing it back together with FabriTak. You are so right -- it is thick and holds the pieces together well. White glue (very runny) would not have worked for this Thank you, thank you, thank you for your posting. Sometimes we post things and think that people never see them. I registered on this site just so I would be able to send you a note to tell you HOW MUCH I appreciate you taking the time to help someone like me.
 _GOTOTOP