_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need M51 Help
JoeBev
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
Happy Holidays to all. I have a couple of M51 Sherman questions.This is
in regards to M51's that fought in the 67' or 73' wars.
1. Which M51's mounted the search light and did they always have the extra stowage box mounted on the top rt. rear of the turret?
2.Which rear mounted stowage rack was more common? The single shelf
with the hinges welded to the hull or the two piece one?
3. Where is the correct plug connection point on the turret roof for the searchlight power cable?
4.Were there any external mounted fire extingushers mount on the hull?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Joe Bevans
Los Angeles CA
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 06:50 AM UTC
I'll try to help, Joseph:
1. Searchlights were not universal to the M1/M50/M51 tanks in service. Some had them; some didn't; and it wasn't a case of only the "best" equipment (M51s) having them. My guess is that some proportion of each company was fitted, so use it or lose it as you choose or your chosen reference shows.
2. The stowage box you refer to was I believe a very late modification--certainly not in '67 and possibly post-'73. I've heard it called an ammunition locker for the mortar that was fitted in the late '70s but I'm not sure of that. If I commanded that tank, I wouldn't want explosives that close to my head....
3. The single-hinge rack seems more common to M51s. I think it is a local variant of the original two-hinge tray that came with some of their Shermans from other users.
4. We've been round and round on the power socket and I don't think there is consensus. For me, common sense says that the original searchlight mount was used to route the new cable--the hole is already there; not much work to be done.
5. No external extinguishers. Ex-British hulls might have remnants of the mount, I suppose; probably just the base. But even this would be more likely on an M50 if it is there.

HTH,
Greg
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
Gregs got it.

The Power inlet for the spotlight was mounted about 4" beside the Gunners Periscope running North South. I think there were different versions. Maybe Dr. Manasherob can enlighten us......

Remember for the stowage set up both M50 and M51 style spare track and bins were seen together in action.

What time period M51 will it be?

Chris
JoeBev
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 03:32 PM UTC
Greg and Chis- Thank you for your replys. The information will be a big help. The time period will be from the 67' war to the 73' war. I am waitng for the next installment of
The Lion and The Lioness for more reference shots. But you both have been a big help.
Happy New years
Joe Bevans
 _GOTOTOP