_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Landrover 109 ambulance
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi guys
I was just wondering when the British army stopped using the land rover 109. Thanks for your help, Nick
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 305 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 07:32 AM UTC
yo nick, it was 1996
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC
Cheers Tony, so I could use Tamiyas 109 ambulance in Northern Ireland in the 1980's. Nick
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Tony, so I could use Tamiyas 109 ambulance in Northern Ireland in the 1980's. Nick

Hi Nick, if your planning an armoured Rover then not without some major modification. The Tamiya one has the lights in the wrong place for example. They would have to be cut out, filled and moved.

I made this last year. It not too difficult a modification.

This shows where the lights were "cut and pasted".

footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
yep you can just remember to put steel mesh over the headlights side lights windows,front back and sides,and a belly plate, most but not all were also fitted with makrolon armour, and the blue beacons on top also were meshed this is one build i want to see. good luck with your project . are you doing a NI ambulance or a convertion to a NI land rover ?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC
Oops... Forgot, you also have to cut the door from the ambulance side. It comes as one piece.
Ray_from_SA
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 02:18 PM UTC
Just as a note, both Studio27 and Acustion from Japan make a photo etch mesh which has a much finer wire than what's shown above and so would probably be more appropriate for the window guarding.

Here's a link to a store selling it:

http://www.mediamixhobby.com.sg/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3199

If you need a photo of it with something alongside it for reference, let me know.

P.S I know mediamix caters to the motorsports guys, but there's a ton of stuff which can be adapted
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 03:47 PM UTC
yep, ray is right it is good mesh and about the size you need, the mesh on the window screen had a piece cut out on the drivers side about 12in by 6in and a couple of steel bars were welded in place, so the driver had a better view
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi guys
Thanks for all your help. I was thinking of making an armoured landrover but then I thought that my dio might actually have more of a story if i was to make an ambulance taking a wounded man away. In short i would like to make it as an ambulance but if this is not feasible I will convert it to an armoured one. What do you guys think, Thanks fro all your help. Nick
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Nick

PM on the way

Nige
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yep, ray is right it is good mesh and about the size you need, the mesh on the window screen had a piece cut out on the drivers side about 12in by 6in and a couple of steel bars were welded in place, so the driver had a better view

Thanks Ray! I'll be building another one soon. I hope.

Thanks Tony. I remembered the gap in the mesh when I built this a few years ago. It was my very first attempt at scratching or converting anything and I just didn't have the courage to assault this vehicle any more than I'd already done... I chickened out of doing the drivers "view".

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:30 AM UTC
Nick

Forgot the web page

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/flashback/pages/337.pdf

I am sorry but I don't know much about the detailed history of vehicles and the troubles, but I did a quick search and came across this article which shows a landy in convoy with another vehicle and the troops out chatting with local kids

Looks a good we image " a halt at a village on the border" to base the Landy if you scrole through the pages. There is also a group with landies rigging for blowing a hole in a road they don't want terrorists using.

Hope this helps

Nige
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi Nige,

Man these are old pics, early '70s I'd say. Definitely not the '80s. No protection on Rovers, round wing mirrors, old style flak jackets...

Will wait for confirmation from an even older codger who was there from the early 1800's.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
Some more from the Soldier magazine website

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/flashback/pages/338.pdf
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:04 PM UTC
You were right 1971 and 2 were the first two

This one is 1974/75 with RCT
http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/flashback/pages/375.pdf
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys
Thanks for all your help. I was thinking of making an armoured landrover but then I thought that my dio might actually have more of a story if i was to make an ambulance taking a wounded man away. In short i would like to make it as an ambulance but if this is not feasible I will convert it to an armoured one. What do you guys think, Thanks fro all your help. Nick

doing the ambulance would be easier than a convertion to a land rover, if you put armour on the t--t wagon as we called it, the makrolon would cover the whole side including all the windows, most had barricade removers fitted, sometimes you had to breach a few obstacles to get too the wounded, if you do the ambulance the crew would also be carrying 9 mil pistols and no badges or armbands denoteing then as medics just standard combats, our medics carried a couple of 6ft riot shields in their ambulance for protection of themselves and the wounded, even in the most tense situations these lads were so cool, i can think of a couple of medics i still owe a drink.
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi guys

Quoted Text

if you put armour on the t--t wagon as we called it, the makrolon would cover the whole side including all the windows

Ok im being quite supid here, by t-t wagon do you mean ambulance and also is the makrolon mesh.

Nige, thanks very much for the links.
Thanks for your help. Nick
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
sorry nick ! sometimes i just ramble on, t - - t wagon is the ambulance, and makrolon is more like a fiberglass and resin sheet which was bolted onto the vehicles, not bullet proof but supposed to be blast proof
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi there

If you browse through the Soldier web site magazines shown on their site there is a pic of it being applied to a Landy in a workshop in Ireland.

Nige
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC
if you look in my photo gallery, theres a pic that will help you.
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi guys
Thanks for your help, tony, thats a really good photo thanks. Nige, I will have a look for that one. If I put the armour on the ambulance would I have to put the Red Cross markings back on top of the armour or would they not have bothered. Cheers.Nick
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 07:43 AM UTC
no red cross, maybe a very small one on the bumper back and front , if you look from the front of the wagon the cross would be on the left of the bumper, but only small, found another pic !
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Quoted Text

no red cross, maybe a very small one on the bumper back and front

Sorry to be a pain but what about the roof?

Thanks for that picture aswell. Cheers. Nick
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi there Nick

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/flashback/pages/333.pdf

Here is that Soldier article with the fibreglass being applied, it would appear logical that the roof would have got the same treatment as it was seen to have some degree of protection from bullets too thought they don't say bullet proof!!!!!

One pic shows the guys working around the roof area of a hardtop landy I think. Also shows under wheel arch pieces too.

Nige

footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 12:57 PM UTC
yes the roof was armored as well , the wheel arches weren't , makrolon was blast and shrapnel proof, but not bullet proof , we took a few bits to the 30 meter range one day and shot the hell out of it with different caliber weapons the only one that didn't penetrate was the ppk Walther .22 everything else did. just out of interest the SLR 7.62 went through 4 sheets spaced at 2 inches apart , the browning 9 mil pistol went through one sheet , all the other weapons were between one and three sheets. which made us all feel very concerned. when i underwent my training we were told that makrolon would stop a bullet they just never said what caliber. thats the government for you they don't lie but they don't tell the truth either PS, we never had Armour in our wheel arches but that doesn't mean to say others didn't.
 _GOTOTOP