_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bolts & Rivets How-to?
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
I screwed up on my last post...to be short how do you make hexagonal rivets. The Histerex punch and die set seems to be unavailable. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
You could find a small sized Allen head bolt, heat a piece of sprue and stick it in the hex-shaped recess. Pull out and chop to the size you need.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
Highly endorse Rob's method. It is easy and looks great. I tried the old VLS bolt sheets and never got a satisfactory bolt pattern. I would also suggest that you apply the nut/bolt after putting on the model a thin coat of varnish.
Good hunting
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:17 AM UTC
I've got a set for sale, eventually. These are more functional (thicker base etc) they are one piece milling and the best I have found to date. I'm not trying to run a business, just offer a service. If your interested contact me off line so we don't waste space. I get these through an Italian MFG. Maybe I should photograph them n' post the photos. They're great or I wouldn't have taken them myself.

Jack
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:53 PM UTC
Plastistruct also makes hexagonal rod in different thicknesses. Just cut off a small piece and glue it in place. I hvae one of those "choppers" you see in Micro Mark, can crank several hundred in a relatively short time. I'd be interested in a punch set though. Sounds good and would round out my Waldron set. "Q"
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
Thanks Sabot and 210cav for the info on the heated sprue method. I have to give it a try. Captainjack, I just might take you up on the offer, eventually!!! Hey Red4 where did you get your Waldron set, I heard of it, and I know it costs a pretty penny.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC
Tiger1,
I got it at a hobby shop in Greeley Colorado called Don's hobbies. Great place. You are correct they are exspensive. Bought mine a few years back a as a fatherday gift to me and paid close to $140 for both of them. There is another tool I forgot to mention and not sure if anybody mentioned it. If I recall the company name correctly it is Graf or Greif. Small metal tool like device that has various bolt head sizes milled out of it. There were several different to choose from. Use the same way that Rob mentioned, just heat up some left over sprue and jam it in tthe hole/ mold, wait a couple of second and viola' instant bolt head or rivet. The tool isn't very big yet retailed for about 12-15 $$. I only bought one at Scale Reproductions in Louisville Ky a few years back, but Brian the owner, had quite a few on hand. Not sure if he does anymore but it might be worth checking into. I have made a whole baggy full of bolt heads so it definatley works. HTH "Q"
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thanks Red for the info, I'll keep an I out for the Grief rivet makers, as well as the other punch and die sets. :-)
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I screwed up on my last post...to be short how do you make hexagonal rivets. The Histerex punch and die set seems to be unavailable. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Are you saing the Historex P&D sets are discontinued or just not shipping?

Red Lancers used to have them and are listed on their web site.

Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the website BobTavis, I've been looking all over for the Histerex P&D set. :-)
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
Grief rivet makers

I've got a ship[ment of these coming in. They are $15 CAD each.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grief rivet makers

I've got a ship[ment of these coming in. They are $15 CAD each.

I´m interested in know more about it, could you contact me at my email address?
thanks
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
Paulo,
here's more info. This whole post may interest you.

Hex Nuts Forum

Jan
 _GOTOTOP