_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some questions on my build
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hi guys,

It's been more than 2 years of my modelling hiatus and of cause, I have lost the 'touch' of modelling.

Anyway, I started a build of my DML panther smart kit and got it primed with Tamiya Nato Black. After priming, I discovered that the front right hatch on the hull there is a blotch, is it cause of too much watery paint?

Also, my airbrush and compressor is giving me problems. It kinda became soft (caused by the heat on the compressor) and kind of broke off making me reconnecting the hose to compressor .

I also found out that the hose became brittle after so long of a hiatus, so i'm guessing the life span of the hose is up. Is it time for me to change the rubber hose or compressor?

I'm worried that if I paint on the base colour, it will not cover up the blotch.

Sorry for the grainy picture, I cant's seem to shoot a nice clear pic with my new Casio Exlim. I'll find more time to play with it.

Chronic
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC
It is seemingly caused by water with the paint. You could try painting over but I suggest stripping the paint and redoing the whole thing.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC
I agree it looks like a water mark. You could just spray over it again with a light coat to see if you've actually laid down a different thickness of paint. If there is a noticeable lip, then strip it. If there's no noticeable thickness difference, then ignore it.

Paul
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 02:17 AM UTC
As stated above try and shoot real light Coats.

Try using Tamiya thinner or 90% alcohol to paint again as will set faster and if not the washes, filters whatever you use latter might blend it in.
I think Pastel powders will help a bunch also.
My 2 cents.
BTW happens to everybody
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC
yeah, looks like a water spot. I'd paint it as is. If is shows thru, then address the issue. Hell, its a tank, mud and pines baughs will cover anything Good luck with it. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP