Color for NVA armor?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 05:26 PM UTC
Heya, Folks,

I've just started the Trumpeter PT-76B and want to build it as one of the vehicles from the attack on the Lang Vei Special Forces camp or Ben Het.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a paint color? I would assume some shade of Russian armor green, but the Concord Asian armored forces in Vietnam book has a plate which shows a PT-76 in a khaki-ish green.

And does anyone have any photo references of the vehicles from these battles? All I can find are a couple of photos, but that's about it.

Would the vehicles have been operating unbuttoned during the attacks? I am wondering if I need to have the commander's and driver's hatches open and manned if I am modeling the vehicle on the attack.

Last question: has anyone built the Trumpeter T-54 and is it any good?

Thanks, as always, guys!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
vittoare
Visit this Community
Brescia, Italy
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 07:10 PM UTC
i think a russian green, so the tam JNG would be a good choice.
my best
Vittorio
PanzerMike
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
Armorama: 162 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 07:32 PM UTC
Well according to my books on the Nam , the first two PT-76 that attacked the camp were taken out with an 106mm recoiless rifle. The second crew bailed out when they saw the first one get smoked - so theres a dio op for you. Oh and some of the crew were women.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC
Thanks, guys...

Wow, I didn't know the NVA utilized female tankers!

As to the Trumpeter T-54... I had a feeling it might not be good as I think it was one of their earlier releases...bummer.

Don't think I'll do a diorama, but was thinking of posing it on top of a base with some sandbags and possibly a soldier firing a LAW at it. Didn't Verlinden make a grunt firing a LAW rocket in 35th scale at one time...?

Will go with some form of "Russian Green"...

I wonder if Trumpeter is considering a Type 63 (PT-76 with T-54-ish turret)..?

Thanks again, folks!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 07:30 PM UTC
Havoc, I agree with you, a Type 63 would be great. Trumpeter already has the molds they need to produce one. But would there be sufficient interest in this vehicle to justify producing a kit? Vietnam war junkies like me would eat it up. But it's hard to say how well it would sell among modelers in general.
Good luck with your PT-76. I thought about doing one from that book also. But I want to do one that doesn't have the red-and-yellow PAVN emblem and white serial number painted out. I don't like it when they do that. It makes the tanks less colorful. Of course, I admit that if I was riding in one I, too, would want it to be as inconspicuous as possible.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the Trumpeter T54 I do not know, but if it is a more recent model than the Tiran I assume the quality is better as some of the more recent Trumpeter models seem to be better.

Nope, the whole Trumpeter T54/55 series (T54, T55, Tiran 5, Ti-67, Type 69, etc.) is junk. They were some of Trumpeters initial offerings. The first few issuings were motorized toys w/screws for attaching the roadweels. They have been updated with actual hubs since then, but not much else. They are only good for burned-out wrecks for dios. If you are looking for a good T54, you have to get the Tamiya T55 and backdate it.
 _GOTOTOP