Hosted by Darren Baker
M42 Duster help
grimlock
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 06:09 AM UTC
Good day. I usually build WW2 subjects OOB but now I've decided to venture into armor modification. I wanted something simple for me to practice on so I got an old kit - a Tamiya Duster. While gathering references, I believe I bit off more than I could chew. Nevertheless, the project must soldier on.

Being a newbie when it comes to armor parts, I was hoping you guys could assist me with some questions so I may begin this ambitious project. This really is a learning experience for me.

What the cylindrical object beside the engine bay? Is that a dust filter?

Why is the muffler tip bent in such a way?

What are these curved "chutes" Are these for spent shell casings?

Is this used for calibration of the sights?

Finally, would anyone have references of the 40mm ammo clips?

Thanks a lot!
Joe

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC
Yeah, that is the air filter housing, unless I miss my guess.
I am almost sure the end of the muffler has the deflector on it to keep the hot exhaust from shooting straight back and into the faces of anyone standing back there.

Not really sure about the rest of it,
Shaun
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi Joe
Using the old Squadron/Signal "M41 Walker Bulldog in action", I can help you with pics #3 and #4 :
#3 : "Empty shell casings were ejected out the rear of the gun mount into these chutes located underneath the gun on the vehicle floor"
#4 : It's a M38 Computing Sight "The knob on the left is the speed knob, while the one on the right is the computer bail. The wheel at the bottom of the M38 is the computer positioning handwheel."

Here's a close-up of a Bofors 40mm ammo clip. In fact it's a US Navy one (hardwood training projectiles) but the clips used with Duster guns should be very similar...

Azimut has released a set of Bofors 40mm rounds and (WW2 ?) ammo boxes (#AZI35376) :

HTH
Frenchy
grimlock
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 04:09 AM UTC
I don't think the exhaust mods are German-specific as I've seen photos of US vehicles in 'Nam with the same mods.

Are there any West German-specific mods? I think the sideskirts and mudguards are.

Thanks a lot for your helpful comments. Really got me going to carry on with this project.
I wish to depict a Vietnam vehicle and I hope to weed out as much inaccuracies as I can.

Thanks again for your help!
 _GOTOTOP