_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurian model kits
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:57 PM UTC
I am looking to add a common 35th scale Centurian to the collection as a representative piece for post WW2 armor. I don't want to do any super conversions nor special Austrailian / chinese or whatever versions. Just a run of the mill common version . What are /is a good kit for the money. Anything over $40 is out of the question. I expect reasonable accuray. If it looks like a Centurain....then it is a Centurain typeof kit. Nothing real glaringly wrong. Oh and the earlier the version the better.
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
Tamiya, Modelcraft, or Academy Mk3's is the only other choice besides the rather good AFV Club Cent's. The above mentioned kits are in need of more detail, but they do look like centurions. Hope this helps you.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
Are these kits still in production. I had tried much earlier to see what was out there using the search mode at Squadron and Great MOdels and came up with "ZERO" hits. Maybe I am spelling it wrong. Of the afore mentioned kits, which one is best for money. Academy is usually cheaper, but more often than not gets a bad rap. Tamiya stuff is usually quite decent but can geta wee bit pricey. AFV I have found usuallly exceeds what I want to pay.

EDIT: OK now that I figured out it was an "o" not an "a" in the spelling I have looked at what is out there. The AFV kit looks great, but I think the 90mm version by Tamiya is more what I am looking for.
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
The truth is they are all the SAME kit! Only AFV is a new mold, and totally different when it comes to detail. the other three are all the same.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
Steve, Check out HobbyEasy- Daniel sells the AFV club stuff cheap! (I think the Centurions are all priced under 25$, While your there get the Afformentioned MK III 20 pdr barrel from Barrel Depot and a Lion Marc Mk III turret and remove 1 set of the forward (or is it the rear) top return rollers and some other details and you'd have the Mk III -

Theres more people here that know more about the Cent, Im sure they'll chime in.

Chris
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC

Steve ....I have about 16 of them --------if you get real stuck ....and dont mind its not boxed .....may have a couple boxed when I think on it ...but could be any of them ,but most are stripped from boxes but still bagged and sealed
Drop me a line
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
ps..................got spares from AFV AUSSSIE -- alu gun barrell .......... (2-3) etc ........ no hulls or running gear ........used
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are these kits still in production. I had tried much earlier to see what was out there using the search mode at Squadron and Great MOdels and came up with "ZERO" hits. Maybe I am spelling it wrong. Of the afore mentioned kits, which one is best for money. Academy is usually cheaper, but more often than not gets a bad rap. Tamiya stuff is usually quite decent but can geta wee bit pricey. AFV I have found usuallly exceeds what I want to pay.

EDIT: OK now that I figured out it was an "o" not an "a" in the spelling I have looked at what is out there. The AFV kit looks great, but I think the 90mm version by Tamiya is more what I am looking for.

You are much better off with the AFV club NATO variant as this is light years ahead of the old Tamiya (and clones by modelcraft & Academy). BTW the Cent of those versions had an 84mm (20 Pdr) gun - not 90mm which itr was far superior too.
Cheers
Al
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While your there get the Afformentioned MK III 20 pdr barrel from Barrel Depot Chris

No, stay away from the Barrel Depot 20pdr.
It lacks all detail and the bore is more like 115mm instead of 83,4mm (3,3mm instead of 2,3mm)
Same goes for the one from Model Point.
See my build article on Plastic Warfare:
http://www.plasticwarfare.se/?p=90

/Thord
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thord, Thanks for the heads up! Nice Article BTW

Chris
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
Not to be pedantic, but the correct spelling is CENTURION not Centurain or Centurian !!!

Cheers,

Christophe
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
I spelled it right! I have 20 years of education I will have you know. 10th grade twice! LOL!!!!
I do all of my Cent's into SADF machines, so the 105, and 20pndr, are what I use. I have Semils, Skookians, and Olifants that I am doing, and require alot of Am stuff. If you want to know about the Cent, contact Ossie Osbourne here, or on Missing Lynx, he is pretty much the resident guru on the tank in question. Hope you get what you need. Good Luck. I'm outta here!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks for all the input guys. I found a Modelcraft for $15 on ebay I am considering. Like I said as long as it is reasonably close as in no major glaring errors then it suits my purposes. From what I picked up here, it is a Tamiya clone, and the pix I saw on it looked fine. LIke I said I am not going to get into special builds and dump money into a lot of aftermarket stuff. Just want a representative kit for my post WW2 collection. MIght pick up some PE if it looks like I want to ad some detail to it.
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 07:39 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/79925&page=3
Midway down the page is the Modelcraft Cent I am converting. You can see the road wheels and very few other things of the original kit. I think the kit you purchase will suit your needs. The turret with the 20 pndr is the AFV Aussie Cent. Major differences!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thanks RAy:

I'm placing a bid on the kit right now. No one else has bid on it and it is down to a couple of hours. I know some folks are a wee bit disappointed that I don't want to go all hog wild. I am a big ship builder and it baffles me sometimes when someone just wants to go OOB and not add all the super PE and all that. I guess it is just your primary area of focus. Me, I love Tigers and Pattons, all others are just tanks for the collection . I like to get them reasonably close to correct, but without buying gobs of PE and aftermarket stuff. I appreciate the heads up on the Barrel Depot 84mm tube being goofed as I probably would have picked it up. Now I'll just make do with what comes in the kit unless I find aother metal one that is pretty cheap.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 05:29 AM UTC

I have 4 ..AFV new Metal barrels ...SPARE !!...I DONT do gun tanks..............
aye
[:::] BARV
(GOSMG)
 _GOTOTOP