_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Eduard T-55 Photo Etch sets
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
Does anyone know if the various older Eduard T-55 photo etch sets will work on the Tamiya kit (Skif, Esci, Trumpeter)? Yes, I know there is a new Tamiya-specific set, but the Esci and Skif sets are relatively cheap and the Skif exterior set looks fairly comprehensive.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know if the various older Eduard T-55 photo etch sets will work on the Tamiya kit (Skif, Esci, Trumpeter)? Yes, I know there is a new Tamiya-specific set, but the Esci and Skif sets are relatively cheap and the Skif exterior set looks fairly comprehensive.

Rob,

I have heard that these sets will indeed be useable on the new T55. Of course, there may be some fit issues and some parts that will work better than others.

It seems logical that stuff like hatch details, etc will be easily adapted.

But, I have not used these sets on the Tamiya kit myself, so it is only based on what I have read.

Since I have built the Tamiya kit, I am somewhat familiar with it. What in particular are you interested in enhancing or is it a complete kit makeover you are interested in?

Most of the things I will improve when I build another one (and I hope to soon!) will be things I can easily sratch myself such as fuel lines, wires, engine grills, etc.

Steve

PS - I just put Fruil tracks on mine and the fit is perfect! No need for a new sprocket or anything. The links look a bit bigger than the kit supplied rubber bands, but look SUPERB on the finished model. Very happy with them.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I have built the Tamiya kit, I am somewhat familiar with it. What in particular are you interested in enhancing or is it a complete kit makeover you are interested in?

I've got the Eduard set for the Esci kit and I have a chance to get the Eduard set for the Skif kit really cheap (about 50% off). I was wondering if I did get the Skif set (which is 3 times as big as the Esci set), if it would be of use on some other (namely Tamiya) T-55 that I may pick up in the future.

I plan on using the Esci T-55A(M) set I have on an Esci Ti-67 I have. I plan on doing that tank to represent the Ti-67 tank that represents the T-55 used in the movie "The Beast".
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got the Eduard set for the Esci kit and I have a chance to get the Eduard set for the Skif kit really cheap (about 50% off). I was wondering if I did get the Skif set (which is 3 times as big as the Esci set), if it would be of use on some other (namely Tamiya) T-55 that I may pick up in the future.

I haven't seen either of the PE sets so I can't tell exactly whats on there. But, to me anyway, the detail on the Tamiya kit is pretty good aside from some of the major things I mentioned above.

I really think that most of the detail like handles, wires, etc. can be easily made from existing materials. Things that may be nice in PE would be a new guard for the lights, etc. But, that would probably be used for the Skif kit first.

Steve

Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Sabot,
I remember reading on the internet that the set for the Skif kit will not work on the Tamiya kit. I thought that it was on PMMS, but I just went there to check and it was not it. I can not for the life of me find where I saw it. I read that there were size differences, with the parts for the Skif being too large for the Tamiya.

HTH
Dave S.
 _GOTOTOP