_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WWII "Jewish Brigade" Halftracks?
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 04:49 AM UTC
I know this subject isn’t IDF related – but the men of the Jewish Brigade were certainly predecessors to an independent Israeli army and many of them went on to fight in 1948 so I hope this topic will be permissible here…

My limited understanding of the Jewish Brigade during WWII is that it was an infantry unit – but can anyone tell me if some portion of that force was “mechanized”? I just thought it would be an interesting / unusual modeling subject to depict a M2 or M3 Halftrack of the Jewish Brigade.

I know the infantrymen of the Jewish Brigade were distinguishable by a Star of David insignia patch on their shoulders – does anyone know if the Brigades vehicles had similar or other insignia used to distinguish them from other vehicles in the English army?

Thank you,

Noah
colin-rlc
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
Greetings Noah, if you can get hold of a copy of 'The Jewish Brigade', An Army with two Masters 1944-45 by Morris Beckman, there is photo in it of a 'Brigader', M Goldblum, leaning against the front of a truck, dated May 1946. There is a clear view of the Brigade Tac sign on the front mudguard, a 3 vertical band square with the Star of David in the middle. It's a B & W pic, so cant be sure of the real colour's, but the centre one would appear to be white.
The ISBN number is 1-86227-032-5 if you have a good library to order it for you. Hope this helps in some way.

Colin.
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
Colin –

Thank you very much for the response! I’m ecstatic to learn the Jewish Brigade’s vehicles did have an insignia to differentiate them. I’ll certainly try to track down a copy of that book! From your description, the insignia on the vehicle seems similar or identical to the one worn on their uniforms – a white stripe bordered by two purple bands and a yellow Star of David.

Thank you again for the information,

Noah
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi Noah

This web page has a pic of Soldiers of the Jewish Brigade with Jewish remnants, Italy, 1945. They are gathered around a Brigade truck clearly emblazoned with the Magen David on the cab doors.

http://www.olinfilms.com/brigade/resources/tour/tour6.html

Hope that helps

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:56 AM UTC
This site has some great pics of vehicles and markings for the Jewish Brigade too

http://212.79.246.244/5800/home.nsf/specials_jewishbrigade?openagent&id=c

Hope this helps

Nige
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
Nige -

Thank you very much for directing me to that great website and image! It’s sure starting to look like this project has possibilities.

Thanks,
Noah

_GOTOTOP