1/72 DML Panther Ausf F
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 07:46 PM UTC
Is the 1/72 DML Panther F good?

Any fitting problems etc? Cos i'm planning on getting one. I heard it had a die cast hull.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 03:10 AM UTC
I have not built the F, but I have built several of their Panther series. Yes, there are several fit problems. One problem with the diecast hull is that the upper and lower hulls do not fit well together. You will need to chip off the primer paint where the hull parts meet and even file off some metal especially around the front of the hull. If not, you will get a large gap between the upper and lower hulls at the point of the front of the hull.

Test fit this and make the adjustments before beginning assembly.

The tracks are also too tight. It is a problem since the sprocket and idler mounts are molded metal on the lower hull. If it was plastic, you could cut off one or the other and move it inside a few millimeters. You can cheat by elongating the mounting holes on the inside of the idler wheels. This will loosen up the tracks just a little bit.

A more optimal solution would be to grind off the idler mounting points, then drill a hole through each side of the metal hull located slightly forward and place a piece of styrene rod or metal axle through the holes. This would give you enough slack to make the vinyl tracks sag properly. This would also be more difficult to do than the easy method above.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 04:47 PM UTC
Thanks Sabot for the in-depth "to-do".

I'm contemplating on getting the 1/35 ausf F but it seems that there are tons of technical errors.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:08 AM UTC
This site has a more in depth review than I gave above. It is one of the better 1/72 scale reference sites online: http://www.onthewayuk.com/
idanko
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:26 PM UTC
hey thanks for the link!

-Ivan
 _GOTOTOP