_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Need help with T55a...questions&Pics
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:22 PM UTC
Hi all guys...
I need some help about my T-55a...I would depict a soviet version of t-55a..and have some question referring to engine deck
Actually I'm at this point....

This is a tamiya kit improved with aber Pe set...now,can you see the two last rectangular hole on the engine deck?!They're marked D7 and D9 in tamiya kit.
I've seen various tank without this cover grilles or with different type of covers(always referring to t55a version)...I think that they're removable.Thanks to Gary Owsley I get a close up of T-55a and as you can note from the pics there aren't covers

(Images Courtesy of Gary Owsley)
....so which is correct configuration?!

Question 2:
How do you realize fuel lines?!which material do you use to depict them?!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Ciro Riccio

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC
The area you are referring to is a air intake. It is not the MAIN intake, which is what the BIG square areas are for, but may be for the turbo charger?

Regardless, yes, the upper pieces are removable. The basic level is your top photo. Next there are the standard covers and finally, there are also armored, raised covers that can be added.

Best bet to "get it right" is to find a photo of a Russian T-55A that you want to model and work from that. Trying to figure out what goes to where and under which circumstances would probably be far too much work, well, IMNSHO anyhow.

As for the fuel lines, the best method seems to be running copper wire through pieces of round styrene with holes drilled in them (to depict the line connectors) and bolt detail added to the connectors. See reference photos to see what I mean.

Any other questions?
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques for your reply!!!Just now I'm working on fuel lines....damn copper wire.....

chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:50 AM UTC
Ciro,
You have done an outstanding job! Feel free to add texture to that turret and casting numbers (@RHS top of mantlet cover, loaders cupola side).
You did a nice job on the electrical conduit and air lines around the drivers periscopes - most modellers miss this detail, especially the mounting plate thats on the hull side.

I wish I had a fuel line diagram, but I do remember someone posting a diagram, have you checked the Forum?

Chris
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
Great work so far, Ciro!

Mrosko posted this diagram on Missing Links a few years ago.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1108810204/

And some photos in another thread.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1193446348/

Google is a wonderful thing!
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hi Guys,I got the fuel lines diagram..that also was on aber pe set....the problem is that copper wire is too "wild" to stay in that little space,and another problem is to depict connectors lines with relative bolts...I think it's a problem of materials...I need to try something of different...In true I've just realize fuel lines but I'm not happy with result..(too basic ).
If you have suggestions please feel free to contact me......

Ciro Riccio
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 08:16 PM UTC
Other options are Brass wire or Solder. I find solder harder to control than copper, and brass can be very stiff. Maybe the copper wire you are using is too small in guage?

As for the connectors, stretched sprue or evergreen rod is what you need. I thought that the Osprey book on building the T-55 was very good in showing how to do this, and I am not usually a fan of the Osprey series, so that says a lot.

I am sorry, but I cannot find a picture outside of the Osprey book that shows what I am talking about.
timroberts8
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi
Try using telephone wire, you can strip the plastic cover off, but leave bits on where there are rubber hoses.
Best Wishes
Tim
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:27 PM UTC
Ok guys....now I'm at this point......I need only two fuel lines,,,,and I hope it will be complete...some shots...please comments!!!!!what do you think?are they convincing?!

Ciro
and a big thanks to you all
 _GOTOTOP