Hosted by Darren Baker
First Tank Model "Big Bad John"
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC
This is my first tank model I've ever built in my life. It's a Tamiya Vietnam era M-48A3 Patton. I'd really like some feedback, especially on anything I can improve on. I hope this link will work. It's the first time I've tried out this thing.

http://community.webshots.com/user/bracomadar

I plan on making a Tet Offensive diorama using it as my center vehicle.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
The second link is fine.

Great job for your first tank. There is a lot to be proud of there.
The weathering is good. The detail is nice, lots of extra goodies, lots of paiting details too. The construction is clean and good too.
A couple of things to work on on tank 2 are, work on your seam. On the guys right arm you can see the mold seam pretty easily. Just scrape them down with the back of a #11 blade or file. On the barrel (a tough spot) it looks like there is a bit of a seam showing. Just use some putty and sand paper and take it slow so you don't flatten one side and you retain the round shape. On the rubber band type tracks it can get tricky to get them tight. There is a bit of slack around the drive wheel. On this particular kit the front hull seam is a little booger. A bit of putty and sandpaper can smooth that out nicely.

For your first tank its a really good job. I Iove the fact that you took the photos outside. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
I can just remark the same points Scott pointed out and agree with him that's a great job for a first tank attempt. Keep on going like this and in a while your work will be outstanding.
Bravo!!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
that looks nice!! Don't want to be a bother but I think just a little bit more mud on the road whaeels and tracks wouldn't hurt anything,you've got mud all over the front hull yet only a little on the road wheels.Again,Nice work!!

quote"NICE WORK"unquote
hehehe we know who that would be from.....
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
Hey there.... Great looking model.. first time is always a learning experenice.. One thing I've been doing since I started model building last december is try and do something new or try a new technique with each model.

on the barrel seam what kind of glue did you use? I have just don't my first tank that had a 2 peice barrel.. only other one I did was a Pz II.. anyways I used plastruct glue.. I lined up the barrel halfs and then used the glue to "paint"down the seams....... then some gentle sanding so you don't flat spot it and the seam dissappers..

Plastruct kinda fills it in as it welds the plastic together.

here is a url to the on the workbench section of my website, where i have pics of a sherman firefly in progress. there are several pics that show the gun. check out the last picture of the tank from above.. you get a good look at the barrell and you really can't see a seam using this method. (the barrell is in a right and left half).

on my workbench
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
GREAT MODEL
ROBERTO
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:44 PM UTC
I am impressed by the texture in the view of the driver in his hatch.On those periscopes,add some white glue/or microcyrstal clear to simulate glass.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
Yeah, I noticed the seams on the barrel. I thought about sanding, but was afraid I'd get it screwed up too bad. What type of sandpaper would you suggest using when sanding models? I tried to find as many seams as possible when I was building it. I didn't notice the arms on the figure need it until I looked at the pics. "GOOD GOD!!! How did I miss that?" On the rest I used the exacto knife to cut off extra pieces. I also had a little problem with the USMC decals that fit on that compartment on the side. I should have put those on when I was building it. The mud covers up the mistakes on the decals though, so I’m not worried. As for more mud on the tracks and wheels, I thought about that. I decided against it since I wanted them to show through and show the detail since this was my first model and didn't want to cover up too much detail. I originally planned on just giving it a dusted look to look like it had been in a convoy traveling down and dirt road, but I got a little carried away The glue was just some cheapo stuff I got from the Wal-Mart hobby section. I could have got something more expensive at the local hobby shop, but hey, it worked well enough for me. Since I'm going to put this in a diorama later, I'll probably make some improvements on it. I've been thinking on getting some separate track links for this from AFV Club and put them on it. I’m also going to try to fix the barrel and the figure. I’ll probably end up adding Sandpaint for a muddy texture. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC
As far as sandpaper goes I use a number of different things.
I use testors sandpaper pack - you can get it at Walmar, Michaels, AC Moores etc. Its a pack of about 8 sheets of varying grits.
I also use the Highest # I can find at Lowes in the painting section, I have 3 or 4 varying grits. The higher the better. I am a fan of slow sanding so I will spend extra time with a higher grit where some else may start with a lower grit then move to a higher grit 1/2 way through.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
M-48 Re Nice tank only advice mabeyspray a bit of timiya red brown thined with water set the air brush to a fine mist and it will get that NAM red ddirt look . I did a ambush dio about 2 months ago witht a 48 pealling off road and a ACAV113 laying down suppresive fire . showed it to a couple of NAM vets i work with the first thing they said was -how did you do the dust?- so any way try it out and good luck TURRETTOAD13 OUT.
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
i'll have some pix in the photo album soon TURRETTOAD 13 OUT.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:04 AM UTC
If my first model had been anywhere as good, I wouldnt have had to strip it and paint it again. For a first time effort, you should be happy with all the things that have done well. Small things like mold lines and joints will come with a bit more building. The best teachers in the world are here......... display your work and get your homework corrected.
Might sound silly ....... but these little points that the guys have made will help so much for your next project. Great work!
 _GOTOTOP