Suggestions for ARVN tank crew?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:44 PM UTC
Heya, Folks,

I'm pretty sure that no one makes an ARVN tank crew for the M-41or any other ARVN vehicle for that matter.

So I'm thinking any figure with a steel pot and two pocket blouse or an Army-styled flak jacket might work.. Using American figures might be a little large for South Vietnamese, but that's about the best I can come up with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC
Just off the top of my head, perhaps you could convert a suitable Japanese or Korean tank crew figure? That would solve the stature problem. No doubt you'd have to backdate the helmet. Tamiya and Academy come to mind.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hey Johnny,
I'm in the process, or at least was, of using Dragon's ARVN Rangers to crew my M41.
You've got to trim off the web gear but I'm not planning on having them too far out of the hatches.
I'll proabably do something similar for my ARVN and ROK M113 crews.

Just pulled out a big bag of old plastic figures.....relatively speaking, the guy wearing the flak vest in the old Tamiya 107mm mortar set is a little on the small side.

Academy had a ROK tank crew set. Size wise they might work though they weren't very good looking.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 09:48 PM UTC
Thanks, Gerald and Sherb for the good suggestions...

Funny, I looked at the Academy ROK crew and they don't even look Asian! Maybe it's just the way they were painted for the photos...

Given that there are NVA tank crew figures, African tank crew figures, Arab tank crews, ya gotta wonder why no one has ever come out with a decent ARVN crew...

I'll keep my eyes open for these sets. Thanks again, guys!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

PS By the way, I just finished "Praying for Slack" by Robert Peavey, an excellent account of Marine tankers in Vietnam. Great read!
 _GOTOTOP