Hosted by Darren Baker
vision blocks on a Nam M113
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 03:01 AM UTC
Can any of you clever chaps tell me the best colour for painting vision blocks on a Vietnam era M113?
Thanks in advance.
David
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can any of you clever chaps tell me the best colour for painting vision blocks on a Vietnam era M113?
Thanks in advance.
David

The blocks didn't have the red or pink anti-laser coatings seen today. Under most conditions, they look gloss black or possibly a very deep gray. Steve Zaloga likes to use small rectangles of the black photographic film found at the end of the roll of negatives instead of paint for periscope glass. It lays flat, and has both shine and depth.
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 02:56 PM UTC
Gerald,
Thanks for the info.
I know my effort won't match the vast majority on this site but I like to try my best to be correct?
Trying to get this one finished for the crouching tiger, puffing dragon campaign that's due to finish at the end of the month so will post photos for all to see by then hopefully!
David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks in advance.
David

The blocks didn't have the red or pink anti-laser coatings seen today. Under most conditions, they look gloss black or possibly a very deep gray. Steve Zaloga likes to use small rectangles of the black photographic film found at the end of the roll of negatives instead of paint for periscope glass. It lays flat, and has both shine and depth.

Does anyone know how to attach those film strips without damaging the surface color? What adhesive do you use?
thanks
DJ
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks in advance.
David

Does anyone know how to attach those film strips without damaging the surface color? What adhesive do you use?
thanks
DJ

A tiny amount of five-minute epoxy. I guess you can use super glue, but you don't get any time to adjust the position.
 _GOTOTOP