_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How to remove paint
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC
Howdy all
How have you guys removed paint from an old model that you want to change to new paint scheme. When I use to do car models I used brake fluid,but have heard of using Easy Off oven cleaner which would be the Sodium Hydroxide or lye why which I kind of think is a little to caustic for me,do they sell any thing good at the stores that you won't have to sit there brushing forverer to remove it. This paint is the old Humbrol paints if I remember correctly.
thanks guys.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:21 PM UTC
sgtreef,
Check your hobby shops for PolyScale "Easy Lift Off". I have not used it on a model, but have used it to remove several layers of paint from the edge of my wokr table. When my youngest son lived home he would use the table edge to wipe excess paint from his brush while painting figures. Needless to say there was an area about 6" long about 1/4" thick of paint. The Easy Lift Off softened the paint enough so I could remove it with a razor blade.
This was a combination of acrylics and enamels, so I think it would handle a layer of paint on a model
HTH
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
SgtReef,
I use the EZ Off method. You are correct it stinks to high heaven, but I have found a way to get around that part of it. I grab a 1 gallon zip lock baggy and place the model inside. Don some rubber gloves and start spraying. Once I'm sure I got a good coverage, I seal the baggy and let it set for 10-15 mins. You can see the paint start coming off as soon as you start spraying, but I like to wait awhile and give it time to work. It doesn't harm the model at all. Once I think I'm ready to wash it all off, I run some warm water, and grab some dish sopa and an old toothbrush to help with the stubborn areas. I have completely stripped a tank in abot 10 minutes, and was repainting it in another 15. The products that were mentioned earlier are good too, but I haven't tried them, but I have friends who have and they haven't said anything bad about them so I assume they work just as well. HTH "Q"

ps. If you have vinyl models DO NOT ATTEMPT THE EZ OFF you will have a puddle of goo if you do. Trust me!!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 01:19 AM UTC
I work with oven cleaner when I want to strip my figures out of their old clothes.. It works great for resin stuff; I spray it on the fig and sometimes even leave it over night... Wash it in water and there you go (sometimes I help myself with a toothpick for the places I can't reach with my chubby fingers). Works great (on Humbrols, too) and doesn't hurt resin.

Mario M.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
Easy Off makes a fume free version. I put the piece into a zip lock freezer bag and spray away, coating the entire kit or sprue. I let it sit overnight and use an old toothbrush, toothpicks and any other handy item to get the paint bits out of the nooks and crannies.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
Thanks gents I will try the easy off method tomorrow.
 _GOTOTOP