_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
I will build it: Skif T-55A
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
I was offered the Eduard T-55A interior and exterior photo etch sets for roughly $10 each. Each set normally retails for $20ish so I originally was wondering on whether or not to buy them and use them on another T-55 kit. But have now decided to use them on the Skif T-55 I bought when they first hit the scenes. I've seen the kit get ripped in reviews, but I have never seen one built. I plan on remedying this during the upcoming Cold War Cook-Off. Right after I finish my M1/York conversion.

Much like an Esci HMMWV, the Skif kit may not "look" right to some, but let's see how it builds. We are, after all, modelers, aren't we?

BTW, does anyone know if the Skif T-64 individual tracks will work with a T-55A?
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, does anyone know if the Skif T-64 individual tracks will work with a T-55A?

No, it won´t work, the T- 64 tracks are totally different to T-54/55/62 tracks.

Violetrock

PS: Good luck for your "Skif experience"!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
talking about SKIF kits, I'm building the T64 BV right now and I'm having fun with it !
The parts look OK, the fit is good (I haven't needed any putty so far). I might just need a bit of surgery for one of the supports of the reactive armor cells on the turret. Now, I'm not all that sure about accuracy...
I was a bit scared of starting building the kit.
I won't be scared of building my SKIF BMP3 (plus Eduard PE, plus CONCORD book for reference pictures)!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
well, I think most people are just pissed that Tamiya is not doing all those kits for the same price...

Skif kits are fine, the T-55 is the worst of the lot for accuracy, but it is not that bad...just does not suit the bolt counters. I am still not convinced that the Tamiya T-55, which I have 2 of, is $35 Better than the Trumpeter kit, which I have 8 of. I am building the Trumpeter T-55, and will next do the Tamiya to compare when done.

Overall Skif kits are good, but their tracks, like Trumpeter, are awefull!!!!!!!!!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Good to hear Rob, I respect people whom have the courage to turn a sow's ear to a silk purse. And I am sure it will come out great.

SO how's the M1/Sgt York, coming along? More pictures please...
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 05:09 AM UTC
I am surprised that Skif kit would be a temptation when you have the Tamiya one as well. I look forward to seeing it when it is done. I also am interested to know about the progress on the M1/York conversion. Have you decided on a close in weapon?

Rob
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am surprised that Skif kit would be a temptation when you have the Tamiya one as well. I look forward to seeing it when it is done. I also am interested to know about the progress on the M1/York conversion. Have you decided on a close in weapon?

Rob

That's just it, I do not have the Tamiya kit, but I got a good deal on the Skif PE, hence my questions earlier on whether or not I could use them on a future Tamiya T-55. Since I already had the Skif kit prior to it being reviewed, I figured I might as well build it since I'd be lucky to get half of what I paid for it. Besides, it's just a model. Not like I'm building a new artificial heart or something.

As far as the M1/York, once that radar set up goes directly behind the TC's hatch, there's not much room to put anything. I'm thinking of making a simple pintle mount to place either the M1 loaders 240 or an M60 from a Mutt kit.
case
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
Good luck, with the skif,
in my opinion the only parts that are not usable and not really possible to alter are the wheels, they are of a design I really never saw , first I hoped they were the new lighter wheels used on refurbished t55's , but they don't look anything like them.
A converted Esci wheel or of course the outstanding(in my opinion)CMD wheels are a better choose.
Hope to see the result soon

cheers Kees
ps, I've build some Esci hmmvee's with the hood(?) from italeri,wheels by verlinden , and some overseeable alterations, very nice defenition on most parts.

[email protected]
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:45 PM UTC
Rob, sorry I can't help you on your question in this post, but reading SS-74's aka Dave Tong's and Rtwpsom2's aka "Brother Abrams" replies also reminded me of your earlier rear end detailing pics on your converson project.

I too am excited about seeing more pics as you move along in that build. It will be great to see your detailing/build efforts, and Brother Rob's interior M1 as both you guys obviously enjoy and are able to build with a high level of detail. It gives an oob builder like me something to admire.

More pics please
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
Time and patience are all it takes, and a little elbow grease also, to turn a sow's ear into that silk purse. I've seen what you can do on just the rear end of an M1. Go for it Rob, I look forward to seeing it.

Dave S.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
Thanks, I just bought the Skif KMT-6 mine plow (kit #N-502) for the kit. Figured it needed something to spice it up.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 11:34 AM UTC
Hey Sabot, were did you get your KMT-6 kit? I have been looking for them for about 6 months...I got two, then the supplies dries right up.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
You forget that I have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Ahhhh, yeah right.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
SIGH...and me without my "special" boots. It's gonna take WEEKS to get the smell out...
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hey Jacques, use ducktape to take the smell off. Heck, it works on everything else.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
I'd rather just find out if there is a reliable source for the KMT-6...it is a VERY nice kit and I woudl like to get a few more...but noone seems to have them. GreatModels, Squadrona nd even Mission Models do not even have them listed, and Military Models is out of stock.

So again, for the sake of world piece, any help Sabot? :-)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
Actually, that kit had been hanging on a peg for well over a year at the local shop. Only decided to grab it since I decided to build the Skif T-55A. They only had two sets of the Skif 122mm ammo and crates with it.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 12:28 PM UTC
Rob
1. You have a very good hobby shop.
2. Have you posted any pics of the York project yet? Do you plan to? (I hope)

Chuck
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC
And that shop isn't even the best local shop. I am fortunate to have a pair of real good shops near by.

Yes, I plan on having some in progress photos of the York. Right now I'm messing with Trumpeter M1A1 tracks for that kit. Bunch of raised marks on each track pad.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
Well sabot, I am definately jelous...more shops keep closing around me, and they are not even very good. 2 shops that have been around a LOOONG time just packed it up and gone before x-mas last year...yikes.

And to have one that actually stocks SKIF products to boot...oh, I'm dreaming...even in Minneapolis the stores carry VERY little of skif stuff, and never the mineplow...

Good luck onthe T-55, and the York.
 _GOTOTOP