Hosted by Darren Baker
Shermans
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:32 PM UTC
Dear all. Thank you for the comments on my Universal Carrier. I have actually put of modelling for a while anca only came back last year. I have some very good friends who guided me.

Here are another 2 of my works since I came back. The first one is a Tamiya M4A1 with Haulier water cooled M1918A1 30 cal MG and hedgegrow cutter. The 2nd one is an M4 Pacific Sherman with Verlinden Sand Bags and Timber armour, Hauler' M1918A4 30 cal MG. Hope you'll like it.

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hey Calvin
You have gotten a great finish on both models!
The mud effect on the M4A1 looks super, as does the hedgerow prong.
I really like the Olive Drab shade you have used.
There are a couple of things you could maybe get onto next time? The pistol ports (shell ejection ports) on the left of each turret were more than usually blended in to the surrounding turret side. This simply requires a 'worm' of putty to be attached on each side and the bottom, and then blended so there is a smooth transition up onto the port's frame.
Also, I don't think you would find a water cooled .30cal mounted on a Sherman. It contained a hose and water container with coolant, which isn't present on your model. They were one heavy bugger!
The second looks to be the M1919A4.
The periscope housing on the commanders hatch still looks to be oversized as per the Tamiya 1/35 version. This would benefit from an aftermarket periscope set, which can also include PE housings of much better thickness.
You have gone to the lengths of using aftermarket equipment/soft armour, but I think in future the actual tank would benefit from periscope guards, especially in the M4A1 timeframe?
I don't own a 1/48 scale Sherman, but did the kit come with the .50cal barrel clamp? It would be present on the opposite side of the commanders hatch to the MG, in that little slot...
I hope you view these points as constructive, which is what they are intended to be
Cheers
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hi Calvine,

Shermans look good, couldn't work in that scale though

Great work and Brad's given you some good tips for the future.

Cheers

Al
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
Those look outstanding !!! I really love 1/48 myself.The mud looks good and the stowage looks great.I intend to build the 1/48 Tamiya Firefly for the Sherman Group Build in April.Hopefully mine will look as good.Can you explain your process for painting the sandbags and the lighter color stowage ??
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments and tips guys. I will work harder to improve. I have started work on a sand bag Sherman. Will post it when i am done.
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 06:44 PM UTC
For the M4A1, I preshaded the model with black first. After a mixture of Gunze Mr. Coloru Olive Drab 1 and Sail colour (50:50) was sprayed over it. The paint should be thined to the consistency of a cup of black coffee.

After decaling, mud was added using a mixture of wall putty, white glue, sand, brown and black paint.

The model is first weathered with wash, working on surface by surface. The surface is first given a gernal wash of thinned Raw Umber oil and then the pin point wash of raw umber mixed with lamp black.

When the wash is dry, a very thin coat of Tamiya Buff is misted onto the model. After that, chalk powder is applied to the mud for highlights.

The light coloured stowage is first painted with Buff and weathered the same way.
theduke2sg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC
The Pacific Sherman's basic colours are Gunze Mr. Colour's 50% Dark yellow and 50% Sail Colour mixtures and the same Olive Drab as the M4A1. The rest is very much the same as the M4A1.

My habit is to start off with light colours and then wash it down to a darker tone.

Happy modeling.
malcolm
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:08 PM UTC

wow, that looks great, what a finish on both shermy`s, hard to belive they are i/48, keep up the good, no great work.

malc.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC
Calvin, check you PMs...
 _GOTOTOP