_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
German Armor Help Zwie (2)
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 12:27 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help with the previous post. Picked up a DML Pzbeobwg. III Ausf. H, Sd.Kfz. 143 from Andy "Herberta" (who is a real great guy to deal with). I am wondering, due to the amount of "extra stuff not used", can this be converted to another version with a "REAL" cannon. Looking to do a Mk III panzer from Stalingrad, but am too much of a "Duffer" on german armor. Any help, or am I a glutton for punishment?
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
Chief,
I believe this kit will also build a straight PzIII H, with the short 50mm gun. But DML also makes a straight PzIII H. No point, really. I would build the "Beobachtungswagen", and if you like doing Dragon/DML kits, get either the PzIII H, or G.
BTW, DML has made quite a lot of the Panzer III chassis variants, including the Stug III's. They build up quite nicely. (if you like single link tracks )
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi Chief

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

That kit includes LOTS of extra parts. You can build a PzIII G or H with the parts, so you have a regular gun tank or a command version. There are reviews of the DML PzIII on Track-Link that have the breakdown of possible vehicle builds from various kits.

Bob Lessels reviewed the regular PzIII G kit: http://www.track-link.net/reviews/434

You will find that deviating from the assembly instructions will be easy, and you can mix and match the various turret, mantlet and gun combinations in the kit. PzIII development was continuous (just like Shermans, Panthers, Tigers etc.) so mixes of early and later features were common.

Cheers
put bold text here
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hey Chief, if you like the DML/Dragon Panzer III's, you should take a look at the Panzer III Ausf M/N, it is a great kit.
 _GOTOTOP