_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
First Airbrushed Model?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC
Howdy. I hopefully will be getting my first airbrush and compressor sometime in the next two weeks, and was wondering what everyone's first airbrushed model was. How did it turn out compared to your last handbrushed effort?
I think I'll get Hasegawa's new 1/48 Bf-109G to practice with the Paasche. I figure for the first airbrushed model, keep it relatively simple..... I hope.

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hopefully my first airbrushed model will be in the near future. :-) :-) :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
From the new pics of your tanks on the site, I thought you used an airbrush! Gee, other people can get a way better looking brush finish than I can!!!

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the new pics of your tanks on the site, I thought you used an airbrush! Gee, other people can get a way better looking brush finish than I can!!!

YodaMan

The sherman is handbrushed and the Lee is from a spray can.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hey guys,
My first airbrushed model turned out OK, but the more you use it the more you get better and familiar with it. The last thing I used my airbrush on was the F-16 I've been working on the past month or so, and I am really happy with the way it has turned out. :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
Okay..... I just noticed the title I typed for the forum! Would someone please yell at me for not being more careful when typing topic names for discussions? ::::::sigh::::::

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay..... I just noticed the title I typed for the forum! Would someone please yell at me for not being more careful when typing topic names for discussions? ::::::sigh::::::

YodaMan

BE MORE CAREFUL WHEN TYPING TOPIC NAMES FOR DISCUSSIONS!
:-) :-) :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC
Something about the grinning smileys takes away the menace of the rebuke........ :-) :-) :-)
Thanks, M1.

YodaMan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 07:21 PM UTC
My first airbrushed model was the Italeri 1/24 Willys Jeep, which is a very nice kit. Some day I'll have to search for it in one of my boxes.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC
My first completely airbrushed model was an old F-5 Tiger jet that I built many, many moons ago with my paasche H and a can of propellant. The first with an airbrush and compressor is the M48 I just did an article about using the same paasche H brush.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
My first one ws done almost thirty years ago with a Badger 350, a 1/72 Revell A7D Corsair. It sucked, frankly. The key is lots of practice. Actually, the first models I was happy with using my airbrush had hard-masked edges for the color cemarkations--no soft-edge camo. That came later, as I got better at adjusting air flow and paint consistency. I moved on to a Paashe dual-action VL1 brush after college, and used it until about eight years ago when I got the Testor/Aztek dual action brush. Dudes THIS is the one to have!! FAR easier to use than the Paasche, IMO. The interchangable tips make altering spray patterns a snap. And the whole thing can be dropped into laquer thinner for an occasional deep cleaning. And while I'm pontificating, let me suggest that a compressor is good, having it feed a storage tank is better, and an in-line moisture trap and regulator upstream of the brush is best!
Greg
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 06:26 AM UTC
Ahh..my Schwimmie will just love some ultra thin soft-edge camostripes on her!
She gets even wilder when I apply some dusty weathering and wet mud!

The good thing in a two-action airbrush is the ultimate control over both air and paint. I also thought about trying to make it spritz some coarse dirt spots by letting the paint gather in the tip of the brush, then give it a strong pressure burst! That may be the case anyway, even I did it on purpose or not... At least I covered my back.
The flip side of the coin is that "ultimate control" would require marksman-class accuracy...

Toni
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:31 AM UTC
Well, I had lots of predictions. In the end though, my first airbrushed model was, and always will be, Halcyon's Alien Warrior. I'll really want to keep it. That will be a problem. I'm building this model for my brother. I'm going to 'give' it to him. Noooooooo! Maybe I'll shell out 50 bucks for an opened one on eBay, but I don't know how I can part with this one.... I... just... can't... (this dosen't make too much sense right now, but hey! I'm tired!)

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 12:38 PM UTC
My first airbrushed model was a Sherman. I wanted to try something that was just one color first. It turned out better than anything I have ever hand painted before. I ame gong to try a nato patern with it soon but will use masking when I do because my freehand painting with the airbrush still needs a lot of work. I think you will love the airbrush. It dries faster and doesn't seem to cover up small details like a couple lairs of brush painting will do.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 01:11 PM UTC
My first airbrushed kit was the first kit I built when I came into the hobby seriously. It was a Testors 1/48 Bearcat with an Aztek single action and an air can. That was 4 years ago and I have not done something as foolish as building an airplane for 2 years now. Now I have two Aztek single and one Aztek double action AB. My power source is a very loud air compressor from Campbell / Hausefeld.

Anyone want to trade some 109s for real model (A.K.A Tanks) just drop me a message :-) :-)

Cheers,

~CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC
:-) :-) Let's See My First Air Brushed Model was done with a can of Propellant and was a R/M B-17G. the Airbrush is a Aztek 4709 single action. But recently I added a Compressor, An Airmaster Plus. and an Aztek Contempo Airbrush...In which I have used to successfully paint an A6M5c Zero, my Abrams M1A1 which I've been told look pretty good. I am currently building a British Spitfire Mk-2A 32 scale kit. Airbrushed also. I simply can not imagine life with out an Airbrush now.Much less no Compressor. they have both made my Model Building experience ALOT more fun and easy. So needless to say I'm VEERY HAPPY with my recent sucesses.

DAGGER: a weapon with a short pointed blade: :THE CUTTING EDGE"
panzerman
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:08 PM UTC
My first airbrushed kit was a Tamiya 1/35 Tiger I E late. Turned out pretty good in three tone camo scheme. I had a single action airbrush at that time, so the painting of camo pattern was not easy. But this tiger looks still great when compared to the newer models from my collection.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My first airbrushed kit was a Tamiya 1/35 Tiger I E late. Turned out pretty good in three tone camo scheme. I had a single action airbrush at that time, so the painting of camo pattern was not easy. But this tiger looks still great when compared to the newer models from my collection.

Why is it harder to paint a como design with a single action airbrush? What are the advantages of a double action over a single action? I thought if you had a small nozzle and could paint fairly acuratly this was all that was needed. Needless to say I dont have an airbrush yet, but I am looking into getting one. Thanks in advance for any help given
Nailz
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
My first airbrushed kit was a Revell B-52 StratoFortress, using an el cheapo airbrush I won on ebay for $9.99, It took forever because I was using a can of propellant and the can would freeze up and stop spraying after about 5 minutes of use. The model was started with hand brushing and had all the tell-tale signs of brush marks, etc., I noticed a huge difference right away and thought it looked great.

That is, I thought it looked great until I went out and invested in an Iwata HP-BCS and a Createx SimAir 2000 compressor and built my Tamiya M4A3 75mm. Holy cow, what a difference the right tools make!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 02:39 AM UTC
The Tamiya Schwimmwagen WAS the first airbrushed model I made and she turned out fine! It seems many acrylics behave better when painted with an airbrush. And somehow airbrush finish leaves a more detailed result. The only thing about it I don´t like is the need for space and the #¤%& thing must be cleaned afterwards!!

Toni
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Mine is a Pz IV auf H from Tamiya, because it needs camo, so it got me to buy an airbrush, and it was a single action one from Gunzo, and I liked it much much better than brushes. Then I got the Jagdpanther, and seeing all the tiny camo patterns on the road wheels, I knew that the single action won't do, so get the double action. Enjoy it ever since, now painting complicated camo scheme becomes the mose loved part of this hobby for me... :-) :-) :-)

I for one, just can't pull off the "Ambush Scheme" with a brush or a single action.... #:-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
First one I did, was a Tamiya M2/3 Bradley in camouflage pattern. Damn that thing was a piece of cake as far as the Airbrushing part is concerned. The second was a Leopard 1A4.....had to do the damn thing 3 or 4 times, since I couldn't get it right...... Never new what had happened. And the third......well I'll let you know when it's there....
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
Good question Yodaman. Wow it's been so long ago, 20+ years or so. I think it was a 1/72 scale P-38, after that kit I was hooked. I also got some good results on armor kits with spray can paints, when I missed placed my airbrush during a move.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 01:55 AM UTC
Yodaman
My first airbrush project was Tamiya's Sgt. York air defence system. Three color desert camo scheme!
Wow - what an education. I have it on my shelf as a reminder of how far I have come! It came out OK. I learned a great deal about masking, patience and air brush cleaning! You'll learn really fast that the time with brush in hand is very small as compared to preparation and clean up. But it is all worth it. Air brushs are so versitile and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
You're idea of a more simplistic 1st project is a good idea. I would recomend liquid mask for the canopy. I use it on ALL of my 'glass' portions of projects.
:-)
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
First kit I airbrushed was the Italeri (then Testors) M-47 Patton. I used a VL Paasche double action airbrush that I bought with my own funds when I was 12. I'm 37 now and the brush still works lie a champ. My Mom still has the model sitting on the shelf in my old room along with some of my other "works of art". I have since bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 airbrushes since then. I still like that VL model though. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP