Hosted by Darren Baker
making or buying 1/35 rubble and brick debris
Hightower
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hi all, I am looking for info on both making and buying 1/35 brick to add to my dioramas. And how to go about adding the usual debris at the base of a ruined building.
Thanks for the assist
Cheers eh ?
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hi

Take a look here if you want to buy moulds to make your own.

http://www.kancali.com/Wallsections.html

Alan
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:06 PM UTC
there is a feature on how to build a brick jig to make them out of plaster on the site. Look under Digital diamonds in the feature section, all sorts of good stuff. I made mine out of evergreen styrene and its worked great!
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
The Kancali moulds are great for bricks and masonry, however another cheap source of rubble is to use cat litter. Buy the plain white stuff, it can be painted to look like any kind of brick or stone.
To make heaped piles of rubble use florists foam(Oasis) for the bulk of the pile. It carves really easily and can be coated with a coat of PVA white glue then sprinkled with rubble.
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:29 PM UTC
If it is still available, Custom Dioramics make a product called "Rubble". I picked up a box at a Hobby show for $5. You cant go wrong.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 03:01 PM UTC
KanCali makes great stuff - I've used it all.

Mold Review
I've used thier premade rubble too.

All very good stuff.

DD Bricks

It does come down to cost and availability. If you can afford the Kancali molds and a bit of plaster - go for it. If you not, and plaster is available, make your own - DD feature, if still no luck - then go cat litter, or a broken piece of plaster board from a local DIY store
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC
There are a few companies that make bricks from cork.I use them as they came in a bag of 5oo for a few bucks. The good point is that they are ready to use and uniform in size. Also one pass at the paint job covers it with no soaking up like plaster. Just break apart and you have broken parts too. I usually use a piece of foam to build up my piles of debri, paint it a suitable color and add baby sand and bricks ect. to it with a white glue/water mix. I always make an extra sheet of plaster so I can scribe stone or brick in it for larger debri which will almost certenly be found under the smaller peices. One other thing to remember is that what part of the builing that is not standing has to equal the pile of rubble. Hope that helps.
PrestonVonStruben
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 03:47 PM UTC
hobbylinc.com sells bricks painted and ready to go in 1/35 scale
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC
Construction sites make great places to get debris. I use hobby bricks but i also used real smashed up bricks and mortar. There are all sorts of smashed tiny wood bits, pieces of old wire at buildings (particularly older ones) that are being remoldeled.
 _GOTOTOP