_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Flak 38-field grey?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 09:43 AM UTC
I noticed the directions of the DML/Dragon Flak 38 kit calls for the unit to be painted in field grey. I know that color is supposed to be used on German uniforms and small pieces of equipment, and vehicles (in the early era) are supposed to be dark grey. Are the directions inaccurate then, or was the Flak 38 actually painted field grey rather than German grey? Thanks.
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi there Tom!

even though im a novice i like to help out!

depending on the era that your using the flak 38 varies from dark yellow camo , german grey, but threw all of my research i have done i have never found any information on the flak guns being painted field grey.

i think it would be abit unusual as the main german equipment like flak guns were either
white ( winter) dark yellow camo scheme ( normandy ) or dark grey as most came off production line ( all ww2 ). i have built the flak vierling 20mm 38 but am in search of a crew for it! on many of my references there was no mention of all the flak guns the germans produced being field grey so im thinking miss print maybe!!

but if someone can put me to shame and find a field grey flak gun il rest my case

tony!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:56 PM UTC
Just to confuse people, Gunze Sangyo calls their Dunkelgrau "Field Gray". That's the source of the confusion. The guns were not painted gray green.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 04:16 PM UTC
I figured it was a mistranslation but wanted to make sure. Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP