_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quad Gun Tractor in Civilian Use?
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC
Would a British/Canadian Quad Gun Tractor ever be put to civilian use? Were they common enough to be used after the war in other countries, like Vietnam for just hauling a trailer full of rice, or something? The reason I ask is because I have a Tamiya QGC and I got it in a good deal with some other models. This was before I decided to only make Vietnam models. I'd like to build it, but I'd like to be able to put it to use in a Vietnam diorama, maybe as some odd looking Taxi, or something. It looks like it would be great for getting through Nam mud #:-) Could you possibly see this thing being painted up as a Taxi, or something and being used in Nam, or would that just be too far fetched? Did the French ever use these; if so, for how long?
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 06:21 PM UTC
Well, does anyone at least have colored pics of the engine on this thing?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would a British/Canadian Quad Gun Tractor ever be put to civilian use? Could you possibly see this thing being painted up as a Taxi, or something and being used in Nam, or would that just be too far fetched? Did the French ever use these; if so, for how long?

the answer to the above is yes they were put to civilian use but usually after the body had been chopped up and remade as a pickup with a flat tray on the back. Painted up as a taxi is also a yes this is definately too far fetched and no the french would not have used them in Vietnam. The french used mainly dodge WC 62/63 6X6 trucks there.

Engine color was normaly the color of the bodywork of the army it served in.

hope this helps :-)
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 08:17 PM UTC
Ok, here's another one for ya. What about ANZAC armies using these in W.W.II, or Nam.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
Aussies' & Kiwis' had mainly their own style of Quads in WW2 (still CMP types though) although I read of the odd one or two being found here in Australia but these are thought to be odd vehicles shipped back from the middle east.

Used in vietnam by the ANZACS. hahaha - we were not that far behind in modern (for the times) equipment. :-)
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Cliff. I knew some governments used them up into the 60's so I figured I'd ask Not implying you still used old equipment in Nam #:-) I just thought maybe it might have been an updated version, or something. I have the upmost respect for the Anzac forces. They've helped the U.S. out on just about every war in the 20th and 21st Century, including Vietnam. I don't think they get enough credit for the help they've given thoughout the years like they should. Thanks for all the info.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:36 PM UTC
This may seem a minor historical point but the Anzac forces were engaged in hostilities during both the Great War and the Second World War for some time prior to the US deciding to help them.

Regards Dave
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:05 PM UTC
That's absolutely correct KIWI. We helped you out in the big one and you guys have returned the favor many times over, including the recent fracus when the rest of the world got so uppity about it.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:57 PM UTC
For more info on CMPs and links to sites that will have pics of civie versions try:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/cac/

I model quite a few Commonwealth vehicles and find not just the site and links useful but the guys on the forums actually own a lot of restored CMPs and others, including Aussie Blitzes etc.
 _GOTOTOP