_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain Questions...
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hi all,
I'm starting the Tamiya Chieftain ( I can hear the snickering...) and I will be upgrading the kit to a Mk 10, so I will be re building the rear engine deck as well as sculpting the hull/turret 'Stillbrew" armour.
I was going to use a Tamiya Challenger 1 main gun ( and some other small details) as the main gun has the correct thermal sleeve/blanket and the muzzle reference system.
Did any Mk 10s come with TOGs or was that only on the 11's?
Was there any major changes to the turret out side of the applique armour on the Mk 10?
Anything else I should be thinking about?
Thanks
Pete

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 05:34 PM UTC
Someone else was doing a Chieftain not long ago. Search in armorama with "chieftain".
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:46 AM UTC
You can use the Challenger one Gun Barrel and the Gun Clamp from the rear of the hull, replacing older Gun Crutch. You can also transplant part of the No. 15 Mk. 2 cupola (angled periscope heads and wider cover) from it.
Don't forget to add a 'Light source' box and cable for the MRS. on the turret top.

A Mk 10. is a Mk 9 with CSS (computerized sighting system) and Stillbrew on some (most).
A Mk 11. is a Mk 10 with TOGS.

I would get a conversion from Accurate Armour personally. Wasn't available years ago when I did my conversion to Mk 8 standards. (In service early to mid 80's).

This one was based on my tank during Ex. Crusader 80.

Keith.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies, cleared up a few things.
This one is a real mystery for me ( not knowing anything about the vehicle when I started, but learning fast)
The AA conversion kit is a good idea and I did think about it, but I like a challenge and I'm cheap!.
Thanks again
P
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
I've done some preliminary work on a Mk 11 using the Castoff conversion but I broke down and got the PE fret from AA.

The rear deck surgery for the grills isn't bad but then you realize that Tamiya half-assed those rubber bumper things that go around the perimeter of the engine but should be doable with some styrene half-rounds.

You can have the Tamiya turret from mine if you need another go at the Stillbrew.

Paul
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've done some preliminary work on a Mk 11 using the Castoff conversion but I broke down and got the PE fret from AA.

The rear deck surgery for the grills isn't bad but then you realize that Tamiya half-assed those rubber bumper things that go around the perimeter of the engine but should be doable with some styrene half-rounds.

You can have the Tamiya turret from mine if you need another go at the Stillbrew.

Paul

Ah Paul, you mean the 'Resiliant' rail.

Castoff's conversion was just good enough for that sadly, a castoff..

Keith.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
I noticed that detail about the rail... I think I'll be redoing that section as well. This is going to be a bigger job than I anticipated, but what the hell, I got time. Thanks for the offer on the turret, on never knows. I thought I'd make some plasticine patterns and then cast them or I would maybe use epoxy putty.
Cheers
P
 _GOTOTOP