_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SU-100 ARV question
hogger99
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hello,

I ran across a couple of pictures on the net of an ARV built from an SU-100. The gun was removed & a large plate welded over the opening. It also had a large tow bar attached to the front. Does anyone know what version this is & when it was used? Also any scale drawings or pictures available?

Thanks,
Sam

t34-85
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

I ran across a couple of pictures on the net of an ARV built from an SU-100. The gun was removed & a large plate welded over the opening. It also had a large tow bar attached to the front. Does anyone know what version this is & when it was used? Also any scale drawings or pictures available?

Thanks,
Sam

Since only the SU-85M was suitable to be upgunned with the 100mm (in fact, the SU-85M was originally supposed to be armed with the bigger gun, but, due to a shortage of tubes, it was fitted with the 85mm weapon) the Soviets converted a large number of early SU-85's to either ARV's or munition carriers, by removing the gun and bolting/welding a large plate over the opening. Now, if you're talking about such a modification made to an SU-85M or SU-100 hull (basically the same thing), then it's definitely a post-war job, since SU-100's remained in service long after WWII had ended.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
There was an article in Wheels and Tracks after East and West Germany got back together that showed tank hulls being cut up for scrap. Included were several SU based recovery tanks. From the text it seems that these were simply de-gunned chassis used as tow vehicles by the East German army. There was no information on when and where these were used.

Hopefully there will be more for you on this, I came up empty.
 _GOTOTOP