_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman in British service
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hey all you Shermaholics, I need some advice. I have been fortunate enought to acquire
two DML M4A1 Early kits (!) I would like to make one a British vehicle but am not
sure if it is correct? It looks like the El Alamein M4s were direct vision hulls
and the DML is not, so what am I left with? Can I build a latter British vehicle
or am I out of luck? Also, I have the Resicast M1 dozer blade and assembly, what
Sherman version would this best go on or is it prety universal? I had hoped to use
it on the Tamiya M4A3 late production version. Let me know what you think.

Coop
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:07 PM UTC
accouding to the following website the Sherman Register, which is suppose to be a pretty good reference for Shermans

Sherman Register - British designations

The British received 2,073 M4's, 885 M4A1's , 5,033 M4A2's, and 7,155 M4A4's Shermans.

Also here is a website of The 1st Queens Dragoons Guards showing the armor they were equiped with during WWII appartly they were part of El Alimein. and during that battle they were using Sherman I ( M4's) and Sherman III's (M4A2's) along with the british crusader tanks.

Sherman Register - British designations

hope this helps.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Good score! I haven't been able to lay hands on one of those kits, let alone two!

For El Alamein, the direct-vision hulls would have been pretty universal. Also, the very early M3-style suspension would have been prevalent. But but the middle of '43, into Tunisia and Sicily, later vehicles as represented by the kit would have been in service. Desert-style camouflage persisted in 8th Army units well into the Italian campaign.

The US units in North Africa were also partially equipped with M4A1 tanks of this vintage, and these too sported camouflage--usually mud very crudely daubed on. HTH,
Greg
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi,

At Sherman Tank you have links for a three part article of Sherman tanks in British service at the PanzerGruppe.

HTH

_GOTOTOP