_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Good BMP2 kit?
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Anyone know which brand carries a good BMP2 kit or T72M2 kit? I tried to find these kits on Luckymodel.com however to no avail.

I really like the look of these 2 vehicles especially the BMP2.

Thank in advance!

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 07:51 PM UTC
The only one available now is the Dragon/ Zvezda one.
It's old (from the late '80's) and has some faults, fe the rear upper hull hatches are placed in a V-shape, but should be parallel.
Jacques, sells some good updates, via SAAM models.

The T-72, there's only the Tamiya kit with an aftermarket/ or reworked turret.

Try searching the forum.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

Anyone know which brand carries a good BMP2 kit or T72M2 kit? I tried to find these kits on Luckymodel.com however to no avail.

I really like the look of these 2 vehicles especially the BMP2.

Thank in advance!

Only Dragon and Esci offered the BMP-2 around 1989. Both suffered from errors (but not the same errors--these were separate projects). Dragon's molds have been sold off to Zvezda, but Italeri (who now owns the Esci line) has not seen fit to reissue theirs. The Esci kit was also boxed by AMT and Ertl.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:09 AM UTC
Not sure if Gerald's details are correct (or incorrect for that matter) but I do know that Esci and DML's BMP-1 and -2 kits were "cut" by the same die-master and that they are very similar kits. However...

The DML BMP-2 is a later production one with the Anti-rad liner. And they also did a afghan version with the spaced armour add-on and small BMP mine plow named as the BMP-2E.

Esci's kits are of the BMP-2 early without the anti-rad liner.

As mentioned, each kit has its own problems, the main one being the "cant" of the rear upper hull troop hatches. On the real deal they are paralell. Also, the shape fo the muzzle is incorrect...it should be square not scalloped. There are also a lot of "issues" with the suspension and tracks. To be honest, to make a completely ACCURATE BMP-2 it would be best to start from scratch.

but who has time?

What can be done? SP Designs BMP-2 upper hull replacement (Early or late), SP Designs or Model point replacement turret, Model point replacement barrel, and many other items if you have the inclination and money.

Also, it has been rumored that Miniarm will be coming out with a full resin BMP-2 kit that we all assume will be hyper accurate, with a hper accurate price too....

Here is a picture of my recently completed DML BMP-2 with SP Designs upper hull, SP Designs turret, and MV Lens. I think it looks good enough, but notice the "scalloped" barrel muzzle.

SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:21 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the info.

I'll hunt for the BMP2 by DML, i'm not much of a scratchbuilder. No time, no patience. Anyway, how is the fit? Good or frustrating?

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:36 AM UTC
As for the T-72M2, the only kit of that model is the older DML one. However, it also has issues. But in the end, it will look like a T-72M2.

Here is a look at my build:

It is the DML kit with a new kleenex manlet cover, some new wiring for the smoke grenade launchers, a new "tip" for the main barrel to make it look like it really is 125mm, and plumbing for the rear fuel tanks, that's it.

If you want one better than that, then you shoudl start with either the Tamiya or Trumpeter/Hobbycraft T-72 kit and then it is time for lots of scratchbuilding or aftermarket!
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:41 AM UTC
What about the BMP-2 kit from Revell Germany? It's also in 1:35 but havn't had a look into the box yet...

And there's another T-72 in 1:35 from Revell, too!

[

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:19 AM UTC
These are both ex-DML kits (also previously boxed by Italeri and Zvezda). There hasn't been a new BMP-1 or -2 kit in years and basically only three manufacturers have made this series of kits:
DML BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-2E (also seen as Italeri, Zvezda, Revell)
Esci/AMT/Ertl BMP-1, BMP-2
Lindberg BMP-1U (kit was released, but you could tell from the sprues and instructions that the molds were never finished, missing parts, parts shown on instruction sheet that were not molded on the sprues)
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
A fast way to get around the suspension probs is to present the build kit as a dug in vehicle. Also compatible with soviet/ russian doctrine...
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
I hate to admit it, but I've got a weakness for the DML BMP-2 kits, errors and all. I've had some luck finding them on eBay, picking them up for as little as $9.

And as you can tell from the previous posts, most of the errors can be fixed with a little work and an infusion of AM parts.

BTW, that BMP-2 looks really nice, Jacques.

james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
What about Italeri's BMP-2?
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DML BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-2E (also seen as Italeri, Zvezda, Revell)

Hope that answers it. Just another DML
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure if Gerald's details are correct (or incorrect for that matter) but I do know that Esci and DML's BMP-1 and -2 kits were "cut" by the same die-master and that they are very similar kits. However...

They kits also differ in odd details like the diameter of the drive sprocket, the embossed pattern of the side skirts and the number of transverse ribs on the trim vane on the glacis plate. Regardless of who actually cut the molds, they were based on different research and were released as competing products.
Unfortunately, the surge of modern Soviet armor kits in the late 1980's from Dragon, Esci and Lindberg came just before accurate information on Soviet armor became available, so all the models were based to one extent or another on photographs from May Day parades and grainy intelligence photos.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC
I hear you Gerald, i was just saying that, having built several of both kits (of both the -1 and -2 variety) that they are a lot closer in comparison than I would have thought for two seperate companies. I had also heard from some people in the model making business, they were die cutters, that those kits came from the same cutters.

Now I know there are differences...after all the Esci kit is for a early non-anti-rad version and the DML is for the later anti-rad clad version. But they are still quite alike and the -1 versions are even closer.

Thoughts are that the cutters changed a few things between them to make sure the companies did not accuase them of just selling two copies of the same dies.

All speculation and rumor though. Thought I would share is all.

BTW the Lindberg kit is as bad as it sounds. Better off with either the DML or Esci kits.

I do agree that anyone who makes a NEW MOLD BMP-1 or -2 woudl make a killing. Tamiya would do REALLY well to make them. Vodnik tried to get DML to do a brand new kitting of the BMP-1 a-la the same way they did the M1A1 but they had zero interest in doing it. Darn.

Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:23 AM UTC

Oh, I second that. A nicely done BMP-1 or 2 from new tooling would sell like hotcakes. Or knishes.

-YL
 _GOTOTOP