_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Wheel sets for Dragon BRDM-2
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:27 AM UTC
Greetings Everyone,

I have a couple of Dragon BRDM-2s at hand, which I plan on building when I find suitable wheel sets. The kit vinyl tires are horrible and they tend to crack real fast (I have built two so far and lost all wheels, same problems with BTRs also).

I am looking for replacement wheel sets. I have purchased the Panzershop wheels from Greatmodels, yet I didn't like them. They only supply the wheels (not the wheel hubs) and they give the wheels in half-pieces. The resin is bubbly and the pieces don't fit perfectly, so no two half-pieces match to make a proper wheel. In addition, there's a gap along the middle of the wheel where the two halves meet. Even if you manage to fill the gap and sand the wheel to make a proper alignment, my bet is you will lose all detail on the wheels... Waste of money in my opinion.

So I am looking for better sets worth the money. I have seen Hussar and Trackz sets are sold on greatmodels. Can they be used and are they worth it? Any other makers out there and where can I purchase them (they must be shipping internationally). Can you help?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC
Here are a good set of wheels; they are direct resin cast copies of what come in the DML kits. I bought a set and they are fine.

Tiger Model Designs BRDM wheels
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques, you helped me get two birds with one stone! I was also about to look for BTR-70 wheels.

Hope they ship to Turkey.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC
Well, if they don't you have several other routes to go through for BTR wheels. You can go to my website for SP Designs stuff, including their BTR-70/80 wheels. But they are essentially the same as all other wheels on the market...DML clones in resin. Some come with seperate hubs from the wheels, some have even more parts, some are just one piece per wheel like SP Designs. Just depends on what you want and if they ship to Turkey!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:32 AM UTC
Emre,

I think I have a set of Trakz wheels somewhere in my stash and I doubt I'll ever use them. I believe they are also a direct resin copy of kit wheels. You can have them if you want. Just drop me an email or PM.

Pawel
 _GOTOTOP