_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Eastern Express SU-152?
MKessler
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
Are the Eastern Express kits of the SU-152 long gone now? What's the status of Eastern Express? I checked their website, and it's looking to be three years out of date. I'm getting ready to start gathering KV kits and I'm finding I may be too late...

Thanks,
Matt
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC
Yep. They are OOP. They appear on ebay from time to time but don't go for ridiculous amounts of money, usually around $25. I grabbed one at AMPS last year for $10 and then unloaded it on ebay for about $25 a month or so later.....I already had one built, so only bought that one as an "investment". It paid for part of my other purchases.

The SU 152 and the KV-1s/KV-8 are the ones to search for, as no one else has released kits of them (The KV-1s/KV-8, though released as two different kits, both have the same parts, so if you buy either one you can make the other, if you want).

Rob
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
I have one if you want to buy or swap for it. It's not a bad kit although the tracks are awful. It is accurate but has a lot fo 1970s-type flash. I can throw in an extra set of DML IS-2 tracks (not 100% accurate for the SU-152 but pretty close) or not as you wish

[email protected]
PBR_Streetgang
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:17 AM UTC
Matt,

A late update, if you go to the Alanger website

www.alanger.us

The sell some older EE kits and such. On his Coming Attractions, he lists the EE KV-14, which was the SU-152. You probably know the SU-152 was built on the KV chassis, whereas the JSU-152 was built on the JS chassis. I think the JS was a derivative of the KV chassis anyhow.

I know they were used at Kursk in the Norht offensive and were responsible for knocking out Ferdinands, Nashorns and Brumbars.

Check it out, you can get the ICM US6 Studebaker for like $22. He runs sales on occasion.

BB
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are the Eastern Express kits of the SU-152 long gone now? What's the status of Eastern Express? I checked their website, and it's looking to be three years out of date. I'm getting ready to start gathering KV kits and I'm finding I may be too late...

Thanks,
Matt

Eastern Express is reportedly out of business (or, as one correspondent has written on another newsgroup, the maker is concentrating on small scale kits instead), and some of their kits are turning up in other maker's boxes. However, their KV-1 kits haven't reappeared because most kits in the series have been superseded by better kits from Trumpeter and, to a lesser extent, Zvezda. The exception would be the KV-1S and the SU-152. These are very basic kits, with lots of flash, poorly molded engine deck screens, and stiff vinyl tracks (if you are used to the Trumpeter kits, prepare for a nasty shock). However, with love, attention and sandpaper (and aftermarket tracks and photoetch), they can be very presentable models.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:06 PM UTC
Anyone know if it's possible to combine the Trumpeter and EE kits? Maybe use the Trumpeter parts as a cheap upgrade for the EE kits
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone know if it's possible to combine the Trumpeter and EE kits? Maybe use the Trumpeter parts as a cheap upgrade for the EE kits

Not really feasible. The KV-1S was a major redesign of the KV series intended to drastically reduce its weight, and the KV-1S was the basis of the SU-152. The tracks were also narrower, so no joy there, either. Even the wheels were different.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not really feasible. The KV-1S was a major redesign of the KV series intended to drastically reduce its weight, and the KV-1S was the basis of the SU-152. The tracks were also narrower, so no joy there, either. Even the wheels were different.

Thanks Gerald
 _GOTOTOP