_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Damaging a BTR-70
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

For a sci-fi diorama, I plan to build a knocked-out BTR-70 that was taken out of action by a combat mech. I plan to make several holes on the side of the BTR-70, as if it was hit by hit by high velocity AP or incendiary rounds. I will be sacrificing an old model from Dragon I have built 5 years ago.

What I would like to ask is, if the BTR burned, what color would be exposed underneath the burnt paint? Would it be like the knocked-off Iraqi T-55s, black area around the impact zone- then a rusty area around the black- then normal paint? I do not know if this vehicle is steel, that confuses me even more.

Else, would you think it would be better just to knock holes to simulate an AP round and leave it like this?

All insights or reference pics will be greatly appreciated.
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings everyone,

For a sci-fi diorama, I plan to build a knocked-out BTR-70 that was taken out of action by a combat mech. I plan to make several holes on the side of the BTR-70, as if it was hit by hit by high velocity AP or incendiary rounds. I will be sacrificing an old model from Dragon I have built 5 years ago.

What I would like to ask is, if the BTR burned, what color would be exposed underneath the burnt paint? Would it be like the knocked-off Iraqi T-55s, black area around the impact zone- then a rusty area around the black- then normal paint? I do not know if this vehicle is steel, that confuses me even more.

Else, would you think it would be better just to knock holes to simulate an AP round and leave it like this?

All insights or reference pics will be greatly appreciated.

Hi
well, in case your BTR was hit by an AP round it would be like an mutilated can, I saw them

Now some words about paiting. If that BTR burned it would be rusty, on condition that BTR belonged to Iraqis (etc) it would as that T-55
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hey Emre,
This video is from the war in Chechnya. I found it while doing a project on international terrorism. At about 3:32 on the video ticker there are some great shots of a destroyed BTR. The video is graphic, and pretty devistating; for that I appologize. It does show the new face of the Russian military though. From uniforms to vehicles.

Thanks,
Mike
Aleksey_Gilevskiy
Visit this Community
Belgorod, Russia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Emre,
This video is from the war in Chechnya. I found it while doing a project on international terrorism. At about 3:32 on the video ticker there are some great shots of a destroyed BTR. The video is graphic, and pretty devistating; for that I appologize. It does show the new face of the Russian military though. From uniforms to vehicles.

Thanks,
Mike

HEhe, what about the US military face in Afgan and Iraq?
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC
Totally changed. Look at the vehicle progressions. Soft-skin HMMWVs to MRAPS. The new M1A2 TUSKS. The basic infantry gear. New MOLLE equiptment. Drones. ETC. War does crazy things to out dated armies. The Russians and Americans are fighting similar conflics against similar tactics. I haven't come across many destroyed insurgent vehicles aside from technicals though. I did come across a video made by the spear head units of the USMC when they blitzed across Iraq. I will try to find it. It shows some very good footage of the early war.

-Mike
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
My apologies. I thought it worked! Sorry...

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=155726

It's from Military.com.

-Mike
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
I shouldn't laugh, but that was funny, Gary.

The video was worth a look, too.

emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
Thanks Mike, that caption of the destroyed BTR should be really helpful. I think I now understand what Aleksey meant by "mutilated can".
jochemp
Visit this Community
Panama
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Emroglan:

Some reference pics, of APC's including BTR's damaged in Afghanistan during the 80's, soviet afghan war 79-89. check http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117915&page=12
BorisS
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:53 PM UTC
Honestly kinda surprised the military channel covered that war. Chechnya seems to be the forgotten war of Russia.........well outside of Russia atleast. When was that aired?
 _GOTOTOP