_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
7.5 CM Anti-tank Gun (PAK40/L46
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
Has anyone built the Tamiya kit of this anti-tank gun? Is it any good?

Also, does anyone know of links to real photos of this gun in action?

I saw it at the local hobby shop at a really good price and thought it would make an interesting armor model for me to build (this would be my second one).

Thanks in advance, GR8Voyager
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
Going from memory (I made one when it first came out in the mid 70's) the gun is not to bad. Not sure how accurate it is, or how it compairs with the Italeri example, though. The crew figures are fairly typical early Tamiya. As with all kits of this vintage, there is room for improvement. The split barrel halves could maybe stand replacing with a turned metal one, and some p/e details would help (if there are any). Just how much work is up to the individual and there skill level.

(pic. from Tamiya America web site)
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC
I just took some awesome photos of a PAK 40 that was slated to be restored if you want some good reference.

Andrew

gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
Geoff, thanks for the info. Even if it isn't that accurate, I think I will get it - it was $5.00. I guess I will have to work on the barrel and maybe do some work on the figures although in your photo they don't look too bad.

Andrew, that would be great if you want to post them or email them to me.

Thanks again, GR8Voyager
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 11:25 AM UTC
I made on of these kits a few years ago and it went together well although I can't tell you how it compares to any others but for the price you can't go wrong.

Russ
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
I have done one of them too. It is a nice kit excluding the figs. The barrel needs to be replaced with a turned one like stated before, although I just epoxied it up and sanded it down to hide the seam. Still havnt painted it though, I need to do that soon.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
Darn, I was watching PBS's American Experience series focused this week on SeaBiscuit and then this PBS 2-part series on the HMS Hood and German Bismarck.

Sea Biscuit was an amazing horse, but I digress. By the time I got to the hobby store, it was gone!

Hopefully they will get another one because I won't hesitate. Now if I can only find a model of Sea Biscuit .... Do we have a forum for model Race Horses? ha ha ha

GR8Voyager
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC
hi all,
the Italeri and Tamiya Pak40 are both good. they are made better with a little PE. also, the Jordi Rubio Aluminum gun barrels look good too.

Chris The Pak40 Pig expert
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hye !
I got myself that kit too, and I added the ABER PE... I haven't built it yet.

Oberst, I'd be very interested by your pictures !
You could email them to me at [email protected]

I've got plenty of ideas of dios with that cannon : a syrian cannon overun by israely troops, a german cannon being towed by a modified T70...
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
How funny, I just bought the same model today...

PS. Oberst, can you mail them to me too ? [email protected] (and yes, this has to do with the football team). If that one does not work, the other is [email protected]
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
Penpen & Dutchbird - do you know when you will be building this? Maybe I will order it and we can swap PM's back and forth to share information and progress. I'd like to try making a small diorama or something with all the knowledge I learned over the past few months and it would be kind of neat to work as a team.

Let me know via a post or PM.

Thanks, GR8Voyager

penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hello gr8voyager, I don't realy know when I'll be starting this one... probably june or jully.
In fact i've got 2 sets : one to build OOB, and the other one with Aber PE (that will be a major modification of the build).
It would be fun to work together ! What kind of dio are you thinking about ?
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 11:03 AM UTC
Penpen, your timing would fit in with my schedule - June/July and I would build it right out of the box. In terms of diorama, nothing elaborate as it would be my first and I am not too sure of my skills.

I am thinking of the eastern front in the spring/summer of 1942 near Kertsch in an offensive setup or summer/fall of 1943 near Vornovo in a defensive more static position.

Let's take the conversation to PM and resurface after we get ourselves organized, agree to do it and can post photos. Hopefully by then, my skills will have gotten more refined. Just let me know so I can order it

GR8Voyager
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:36 PM UTC
Gr8voyager,

June/July would be about the same for me... have to get the barrel and photo-etch first... and I have some other vehicles and a wingy (Mig 27) thingie to finish (paint) before that. Unfortunately I am short of a digital camera. That will possibly be there after the summer.

I might make this my first dio also... It is something I have been thinking about.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:51 PM UTC
That's cool guys !
 _GOTOTOP