_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
H&C WWII Tank Encyclopaedia
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 06:12 AM UTC
Bill Plunk reviews Histoire & Collections latest book publication from February 2008, "WWII Tank Encyclopaedia In Color 1939-1945" featuring over 500 color plates by Jean Restayn.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
It's not that special to be perfectly honest. it's a collection of the colour plates from the various Militaria specials and does not have the photos they were based on. For the price I believe it be expensive and unlike the others in the H&C range i would not recommend it.
Cheers
Al
Javlin813
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not that special to be perfectly honest. it's a collection of the colour plates from the various Militaria specials and does not have the photos they were based on. For the price I believe it be expensive and unlike the others in the H&C range i would not recommend it.
Cheers
Al

I agree. While the book is beautifully illustrated it didn't live up to my expectations. Restayn's color plates are very nice to look at but the book isn't very informative. It's one a the few books in my collection that I regret purchasing.

Scott
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 03:22 PM UTC
Al, Scott,

I agree in the sense that it doesn't have the same value as a comparably priced/sized photographic reference for example. The book doesn't contain any photos at all, only color plates, and we all know the validity of color plates is dependent on the photos themselves and their interpretation by the artist. While I personally wouldn't purchase it myself, I can see where others might who don't have the other books that the plates were originally featured in their reference library if they wanted a collection of Restayn's work. There were quite a few schemes presented that were new/intriguing to me personally from a curiosity stand-point but that's about the extent of it. It is what it is, a collection of color plates.
123tanx
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC
I just saw this in the local Barns &Noble and yes the vehicle IDs are mixed up (A10 for A9 and visa-versa )but the artwork is very good Ido think this could be useful but I think I'll take another look...Cheers Mark
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Well, it depends on how you look at it.

I just want some inspiration to the majority of my builds which are not based on any specific vehicle, but based on a battleground and/or period. A minority of my builds are specific well researched vehicles based on a specific vehicle. So in the light of that the book serves a very good purpose for me for most of my builds. I have their previous old volume and it has been very helpful.

That said the basis for the colour plates are left for the readers imagination which is not really "scientific".

Anyway, thanks for the update, Bill
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC
My pleasure and you raise a valid point. The variety and coloration of some of the schemes may not be 100% accurate but there's definitely some inspiration value to be gained from some of them.
 _GOTOTOP