_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
German Signal Troops officer WIP
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Ola Guys.

I have picked up the brushes again after months since my last figure. The subject is this time a german signal troops officer from Masterbox. A very nice set of figures. Am quite satisfied with the outcome so far. Sure it can not measure itself with the big names but they spend weeks on a figure and I only 3,5 hours.. Something which you always see in quality. Still it is good enough for what I intend the figure to end up.
Ok enough talk. Here are the pics. They are not the best but they pretty much show the paintwork.

Still a lot to do... Finish the MP40 of the man... doing some small additions to the paintjob some touchups. Adding more lightgreen dots to the rolled up zeltbahn. And doing some weathering with pigments. Still I would love to hear your opinions and where I could improve.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 396 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC
Robert, fine work as I see it. The skin tone seems just right to me . The mess kit & gasmask canister are done nicely also. The subject seems to look like he has dirty fingers in one picture. Well done, I must try some of your shading on equipment.
Joe
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:10 PM UTC
LOOKIN GOOD ! I Have yet to try some of these MB figures They seem pretty nice and you have done a super job on this one..
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Ola Joe

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate it. Yes you saw it right he indeed has dirty fingers. Still have to do a bit more stuff like that. All little things but it will make the figure look more real. The Shading of equipment is actually quite easy... I usually built up from dark to light. With the first color always a thickish wash and gradually built it up with lighter washes in smaller areas.

Looking forward to seeing figures from you..

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Ola Milvehfan

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes the MB figures are really nice. And not expensive too... for that price you get quite a nice set of versatile figures. And thanks for the compliments on the figure. Still got 5 to go... and the making of a dio.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:15 PM UTC
Robert,

Wish I could do a quarter of what you've done. I've not seen anything like this before. Outstanding work indeed. And the grit and grime makes it look like he has been weeks without bathing. Incredible.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:00 PM UTC
Ola Steve

You should simply try it.. It is not really that hard. Basically all I did was prime with a light color... (in my case Tamiya Buff Sprayed with AB but any light grey primer aerosol can type works well too). And then I added a thick wash to the figure in a color that was a lot darker then what the final tone should be... And then you keep adding washes on areas that get smaller and smaller. And the same I did with the shadow area's. Basically you have to look out for the parts that do get light and which not, this defines your highlights and shadow areas. Working with washes gives you great control over the color. It only needs a little bit of practise on how thick the wash is.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:12 PM UTC
Robert,

You've done a really great job on this figure I live the finnish you got on the bread bag and gas mask case the tones really go well together, looks nice and dirty , are you putting togeter a diorame for them to fit in to?

Best wishes

jerry
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:54 PM UTC
Ola Jerry

Thanks a lot for your reply. And of course the nice words.
Yes eventually it is the goal to have a diorama around the signal troops. In total I have to paint 6 of them. (now actually 5 and a bit) And it will be situated in the ruins of industrial stalingrad. Title can be found in my banner.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC
Robert ,

great to hear from you . I had a simular idea for a diorama , in a Stalingrad apartment block which I started before they were released , however I am working on an SU -100 currently so this is on hold for a bit, while I work out how best to tackle the staircase.

here Are a couple of planing pictures hopfully to provide you with inspiration.

Best wishes,

Jerry

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Ola Jerry

That is some nice project you have going on there. Nice building.. All scratchbuilt? Looking forward how this one progresses.. As you say it is in an appartment block so more of Urban Stalingrad. I intend to have the more Industrial side of stalingrad... In the rubbles of factories and such. A lot of the inpsiration for the scene comes from Enemy at the Gates where Sajtsjev is eventually shooting the Signal troop guys with the cablereel on the back to lure out the evil German Sniper.. Well... these are the guys walking the line.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 04:10 AM UTC
Robert,

Yeah all scratch built,

Jerry
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC

Nice work Robert, I like the weathering of the figure. They are a good set I'm currently building them too. No where near the painting stage though.

Jerry nice work also
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
Robert,

Thanks for the tips on the painting. Have a couple of gi's satshed back for a small dio i have planning and that will come in handy when I start on them. Really like the way yours is coming.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 07:07 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Thanks for your replies.

@ Jerry..> Very impressive. I still am a bit in the research stages of what the insides of my factories are going to look like. But hope to start soon on some scratchbuilding.

@ Pat
I have seen your dio in progress and it looks really really interesting. I hope my scratchbuilding will come out half as good. That would already make me a happy man.

@ Steve
you're welcome mate... I'm by no means a figure painting expert... I have only told you what I have done. But I look forward to your figures.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
 _GOTOTOP