Hosted by Darren Baker
Large continuous brick wall
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 07:02 PM UTC
I'd love to build a building or fence with a large continuous brick wall. Trouble is, resin pieces are too small and would be very difficult (and expensive) to "join" together, and no brick wall sheeting in 1/35 scale are available from Evergreen or Plastruct. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 07:26 PM UTC
Well, you could go down to the local Lowes/Home Depot and snag yourself a few "skids" from the Gypsum drywall area(I refer to the 3-5layer strips that are placed between each bundle of drywall Sheeting to give forklifts room to lift and stack.), these are discards so they are free to a good home. Lay a wet cloth on the paper backing until it loosens and you can rub/peel it off. Then soak/coat the resulting strip of gypsum board in a 50/50 H2o-White glue mixture to give it some integrity(helps prevent flaking & cracking.).Soon as that's dry you can lay out a grid on the strip with a pencil & straightedge, then scribe away. My preferred method is to 'set' the mortar lines with a #11 X-acto blade, then follow with a dental pick- not saying that's the BEST method, just what works for me. When you have your bricks carved out, coat the whole thing in a light grey/beige primer coat, then roll or lightly brush on your brick color. You can view some of my results using this method in my Photos under 'Incoming!'. I'd love to claim credit for this simple yet effective method but it aint mine. Do a search on this site for drywall brick method or somesuch & I'm sure you'll turn up many examples 10-100x better than my fumbling...
HTH!
RobH (LD)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:04 PM UTC
scratch building is the way to do it. You could get a bunch of AM walls, then join them with putty, but that would be expensive.
Robert's method is a good solid way of doing it.
You could also make one section out of individual bricks and then mold it and cast it. I think Roberts way will be easier in the end.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
i use plasticard and scribe away with a No 11 blade. check my arenhem dio to see them, they are only small but they look the biz!(well to me anyway)
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:30 AM UTC
If you have the patience here's a method I have used:
Brick Walls
Roll out a sheet of plasticene to about 1/2- 3/4 cm thick cut it to the shape of your wall. Now use a brick shaped object to impress whatever brick or stone pattern you want. I use different sized brick shapes carved from sprue and wood. When you've finished making your pattern build a retaining wall around it. You now have a mould of the brick wall. For the windows and arches I cut shapes from a sheet of plasticene and placed them in the mould so that the plaster would flow around them. Mix up some plaster of Paris adding a suitable brick coloured, water based paint. Pour the plaster mix into the mould and shake it gently to make any air bubbles rise out. When it dries you can peel off the plasticene and there you have your brick wall. If you're careful you can reuse the mould a few times. The method is adapted from the book "Roy Porter's Model Buildings Masterclass" which is well worth getting.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Thanks for all the advice, folks!

But based on unhappy past experience, using plaster in dioramas is out. Too heavy and too fragile. So I'll go with the plastic sheet technique.
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:40 AM UTC
You could also use balsa or jilly foam. Very easy to use.

Lars
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You could also use balsa or jilly foam. Very easy to use.

Lars

I never heard of "jilly foam." Could you explain it further?
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC
Balsa foam is the same as jilly foam. It is a foam that is very easy to scratch in and is a ideal stuff for dio's.

In my Iraqi dio i use it. If you went better pics, just ask.

Lars
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd love to build a building or fence with a large continuous brick wall. Trouble is, resin pieces are too small and would be very difficult (and expensive) to "join" together, and no brick wall sheeting in 1/35 scale are available from Evergreen or Plastruct. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Tamiya offered a brick wall set in styrene. The lengths could be joined together straight or at right angles, and small endcaps were included for the ends of rows.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i use plasticard and scribe away with a No 11 blade. check my arenhem dio to see them, they are only small but they look the biz!(well to me anyway)

I'm not sure where to find it. Do you have a link?
 _GOTOTOP