Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about static grass
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC
I like this product and have been using it for years but all of a sudden I have a gripe with it. All the static grass blades are the same length so my grass tends to look like it has been freshly mowed.
Does the static grass come in only one length?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
Good question. I think it does only come in one length. Here's what you can do. Vary the ground a just bit that will make the illusion of varying lenths. In a separate container you can take and shave/cut some hemp rope and add static grass and sprinkle these together. You get color and size variations.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Thanks Scott. I have heard about hemp rope before but have never tried it. I will definitely give it a shot.
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
Other than Hemp rope , you could try using soft used tooth brush bristles which are cut with varying length.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Other than Hemp rope , you could try using soft used tooth brush bristles which are cut with varying length.

I would need to use quite a few tooth brushes :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:48 PM UTC
There is some company (Iforgot the name it may be H&J or D&H) that makes a 2 1/2 square of grass about an inch high you could get a couple of those and chop them up and then trim the pieces varying heights. I've got the square, but removed it from the packaging
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
For 54mm-1/35, I've found that Woodland Scenics turf, a shredded spongy product, gives a more realistic garss appearance. I was thinking about this post last night as we walked the dogs. I looked closely at lawns which are just coming in here in Massachusetts and have not yet been mowed. The overall look from even a standing position of a 5 foot 10 person is not one of individual blades of grass but of an slightly nappy carpet. WS Turf, IMHO, provides a good repplication of this is scale. The product is packaged in such a way there are slight variations in the color. For varition, I use some of their long grass gut in clumps and have been using some of their other stuff for low shrubs and Hudson & Allen leaves for forest cover. This is my story and I'm sticking to it. #:-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
Someone (Verlinden?) makes a taller static grass... about twice the length of the normal stuff, and it applies in the same manner. I have it in an unmarked bag, so I don't really know who makes it.... sorry.

I've had it for years, use it rarely, but it's working out nicely on my latest in progress project.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
quote]Other than Hemp rope , you could try using soft used tooth brush bristles which are cut with varying length. I would need to use quite a few tooth brushes :-) [/quote]

Don't use toothbrushes... go to the local home repair store and purchase several cheap bristle paint brushes. They usually cost about 50-cents to a dollar. Bring them home and soak them in greenish-brown wash, (to allow them to naturally soak up color), then let them dry. From there, cut clumps of bristles and plug them into your turf. Touch the tips with a bit of Yellow or Darker Green to add color if desired.
 _GOTOTOP