Hosted by Darren Baker
realistic water question
bobbysteal
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:19 AM UTC
I'm in the process of building a water dio for my PBR and was planning on using woodlandsenics "REALISTIC WATER". I've heard many bad things about the stuff but have all ready bought the water. The water depth will be about 4 cm ,just enough to sink the boat. My question is what do I do to get the water a murky dirty color. Do I add coloring to the actual water,paint each thin layer of water,or simply paint the bottom of the river. Also what color would be the best for a vietnam river. For $16.99 they should give you a free instructional video.
THANKS

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
Add in a little Tamiya earth colour each time, and use less with each successive layer. Don´t go too heavy though ... a little goes a long way. Dont add any to the last layer or two for some visibility!
bobbysteal
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:14 AM UTC
Do I mix the paint directly with the water, or do I paint each layer once its dry.
THANKS FRANK
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
First thing about is to test test test oh yea test again.

I would do a very small puddle and try mixing it in to the water before it drys.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do I mix the paint directly with the water, or do I paint each layer once its dry.

I used the realistic water recently, and added a little tamiya earth to the mix. I poured it into an old glass and added the tamiya slowly ... mixing constantly ... till I got what looked right and then poured this into the area required.
As Scott suggested ... make a small puddle or something first to familiarise yourself with the product. I had no problems with the realistic water ... went well.
But ..... Im in the last stages of a 7 month dio, and went too heavy with with the water effects... and its still white in the middle. Should be clear within 24 hours ... so Im panicking a little. If Id practised a little first I could have seen this coming. Im not worrying about losing a bottle of this stuff ... Im thinking about the seven months work ... so yes ... "test test test oh yea test again"
bobbysteal
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:58 PM UTC
Thanks for your wisdom guys, it's all clear now .
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im in the last stages of a 7 month dio, and went too heavy with with the water effects... and its still white in the middle. Should be clear within 24 hours ... so Im panicking a little.

I sweat for you Frank, i got the same problem 2 years ago,
now -how is it today? is it fixed?
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 03:51 PM UTC
Gordon,
You should try a product called enviro-tex. Abit pricey but the results are great. For either, add your color as you mix and use less each time. That will give you a look of depth. Iv'e used both and prefer the enviro-tex. CAUTION, it builds up heat so pour 1/8 inch per pour. To get rid of traped air blow on it with a straw . If you use less paint per pour you will see objects fade into the depth of the water. Have at it and good luck.
 _GOTOTOP