_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centaur MkIV
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Everyone
Just wanted to show you what Ive been up to. Im trying to replicate this scene:

using Tamiya's Centaur IV. I decided to add a very basic interior using this site as reference. Mine is not really 100% accurate and very basic in comparison as I will have figures in the hatches and so not much will be visible anyway. So here are some pictures of my interior and also my driver (it is the tamiya universal carrier north africa driver with 'milliput trousers!!)

I hope you guys like it. The seats are made from milliput with backs which are actually sandbags from the Italeri Command Post!! The radio and two boxes on the inside of the turret are also from tamiya's universal carrier and everythingelse is plasticard excpet the turret basket support strips which are made from cardboard! All comments are welcome. Thanks, Nick
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 06:40 AM UTC
Sorry, forgot to say this. Obviously the drivers beret will be repainted green as he is a royal marine!! Also the reason the seats appear so glossy is that the paint is still wet. Thanks, Nick
Rommek
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi Nick!
Centaur is a nice object to build.
the interior of your tank looks convincing to me.
Have you already thought about the crew? how are you going to make them? Sculpting by your own?
it's always a problem while replicating a photo.
Will be watching your progress!!
Cheers,
Maciek
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi Maciek
Thanks very much. The crew that Tamiya provide is a gunner and commander for the turret very much like those in the photo, however the arms will need repositioning and also I think I will try to reproduce the commanders poncho using tin foil. The crew member sitting at the front will probably be this one from resicast:

Nick
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:27 AM UTC
Nice work Nick, as you say no point going over board on the interior if the hatches will have figures in them. Looking forward to seeing more on this.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hey Nick,
I'll have to check my references when I get home later but I think the drivers wore a black beret as they were actually RAC.
The original plan was for the engine-less RMASG Centaurs to be lashed down onto the decks of their landing craft and used as fire support on the Normandy beaches.
The plans were changed just prior to the D-Day landings and the Centaurs had their Liberty engines reinstalled.
There wasn't enough time to get any RM drivers trained so they transfered some from the RAC.
Maybe one of the other guys can shed some light on this.
Cheers

jjumbo
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi guys
Thanks for the comments,
John, now you mention it I think I have heard that before somewhere, thanks for the heads up. Nick
 _GOTOTOP