_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sand Bags From Chicklets
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC
I have read, get some chicklets gum, put them in your mouth, but dont chew, allow just enough to soften the candy coating, now remove (ahhhhh!) and press against burlap. Allow to dry.. And Viola!, Instant sand bags.... Now paint (what color?)...

I have not yet tried this.. Has anybody?
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
I haven't tried this yet, but thanks for putting the idea in my head.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
Unchewed gum, with sugars partly broken down...I don't think this is a great idea for longevity. Frankly, you'd be better off with some epoxy putty.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
You've certainly found a good way to attract ants and the like !
It's probably better to stick to non-edable products. They won't attract pests.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
I use self-hardening modeling clay... it's cheap, easy to work with and they can be pressed into and/or 'carved' into any shape or form. Water clean-up too. Will adhere with white glue. Won't crack (at least I haven't noticed any) over time either, and won't shrink. Any 'gapage' can be easily filled with small amounts of the same clay.

Some have said before that the chicklet method works for them. I haven't tried it and most likely won't. I don't want to 'invite' bugs into my home either.
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
This technique was first brought to my attention by ol' Shep Paine in his Diorama book. The longevity problem, to me, isn't an issue. I've seen gum stuck to the underside of a desk for years. The bonus with Chicklets is the ready-made shape. I think Shep recommended them for small scale, but again it's been a long time since I read the book.
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
Wow !! Using chiclets is a new idea. But I rather stick to non edible material such as polyfilla cement...............doesn't attract ants.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
I would probably use epoxy for sandbags and chicklets for my mouth. Sometimes, it just can't be help. Once you chew it, I swear some people would rather eat it.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
I dont think that is the brightest idea.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 478 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:54 PM UTC
Chicklets? The gum?

Hmm...They're right...And you sure dont want to make your dio smell like mint... They'll attract ants, and later, molds... I'll just stick to my good old epoxy clay...
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hey guys. I have used this method numerous times. IT WORKS!!! What you do is you drop the gum in some water and let is soak for a few hours until the shell is all melted away.

So far, I have seen NO ants at all and it lasts. My models I have used it on are over 5 yrs old.
Marty
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
How about using mashed potatos? They are soft when freshly cooked and hard when left sitting in the pan for a while. You could shape them using a spoon and then let them dry. Also, any gaps could be filled with gravy.

#:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-) #:-) :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
All kidding about gravy aside, I used split peas to make a cobble street for a diorama once. Sizes varied, but not too much. Glued them flat side down, filled the gaps between them with spackle (not gravy) and painted them up. Looked really good until something in my basement got hungry and ate my street. No kidding.
AIRBORNEDAD
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
Greetings All !!

Just thought that I'd add MY TWO CENTS WORTH on this topic.I used the old CHICKLETS idea WAAAAY back in 1985, when I did a model of a Vietnam era M113, and I have NEVER had any trouble with them since. I let them sit in hot water to dissolve the candy shell and then put the gum onto the model and shaped them with a Q-TIP, then sprayed DULLCOTE over everyhing to seal and protect it. It WORKED FOR ME.

I STILL HAVE the model, it is one of my FAVORITES, but is starting to show "it's age".if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to EMAIL some pictures, just LMK !!

Thanks As Usual,
ABD
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 07:05 PM UTC
i think i would rather eat the food then to diorama with it. Epoxy putty, and celluclay are a lot cheaper in the long run. Though you could let the ants come and then spray it for an attack of the giant ants diorama. I think this needs to go on that WW2 German UFO thread
 _GOTOTOP